Bookish Wednesday: 10 Books with Characters That Will Give You Those “Black Panther” Badass Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

With Black Panther having come out, the aspiration to be greater than life and overcome obstacles has never been more ardent than now! Having seen a badass character with other extraordinary and thought-provoking characters got us thinking about which fictional figures from our favorite books have made us feel the way Wakanda has made millions feel. So, here are some of our favorite books with moving, heroic and kickass characters that we hope will make you feel powerful and inspired:

1. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

This book was blurbed by Rainbow Rowell as “full of humor and heart,” and it really is. This graphic novel tells the story of Lord Ballister Blackheart (a villain with a vendetta), Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin (a questionable hero), and Nimona (an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy). Nimona isn’t your basic hero; she’s actually the villain of the story alongside Lord Ballister, but this story is genuinely full of heart as mentioned before. Nimona will make you realize your flaws make you all the more important to this world and to others. Also, it’s full of shippable gay romance.

2. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

It’s impossible for me not to recommend a Sarah J. Maas book. Celaena Sardothien is one of the most life-changing characters I have ever encountered because she helps you believe in yourself. Watching her kick butt and do extraordinary things makes you feel like you can! The most feared assassin in her world, she is nothing less than an admirable woman. She even frees an entire ship full of slaves knowing it will cost her her life.

3. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Political injustice, black lives matter, police brutality and a girl who stands against adversity. This novel is one that approaches social problems in the best way and one that can be easily compared to our present day. But most importantly, this novel is about a girl named Starr who witnessed the murder of her childhood friend in the hands of a police officer while he was unarmed and her journey to find her voice amongst her tribulations. A character that we can easily admire and cheer on while we learn from her to also find our voices.

4. Wolf by Wolf  by Ryan Graudin

In this historical fiction novel, the year is 1956, and the Axis powers of the Third Reich and Imperial Japan rule. One girl, Yael (a former death camp prisoner), joins a race wherein the prize is an audience with Adolf Hitler at Victor’s Ball. Yael promises herself that she will kill Hitler for all that he has done, and boy does s**t go down! Ruthless yet compassionate, Yael reminds us how far we’re willing to go to avenge the ones we love with the reminder to not lose ourselves entirely.

5. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo    

Enter six morally questionable characters who their leader is a criminal prodigy with only one goal, to pull off a nearly impossible heist. What can I say about this book? A nail-biting plot, a dark and dangerous setting and six badass characters who you’ll be rooting for to reach their goals. Oh, and yes, you’ll be loving Inej, who even though is skeptical with others and prefers to always have her knives in hand, she will be compassionate and give her friendship to those who deserve it. A fictional character we all can look up to.

6. Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson and art by Adrian Alphona

For those comic fans out there, you need to check this one out! Kamala Khan is the superhero no one expected and the one we didn’t know we needed. An ordinary American Muslim teenager and fanfiction writer, a girl who never thought that she would carry the powers bestowed upon her, a superheroine that will do anything to prove herself while maintaining her identity and kicking ass. The story itself is full of action, hilarious, touching moments, but most importantly representation. Ms. Marvel is a heroine that we all can relate to; let’s hope one day Marvel decides to adapt the story to a movie or a series. Fingers crossed!

7.  A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

This fantasy book needs to be on everyone’s radar! Enter Kell, a magician who can travel between parallel Londons: Red London, White London, Grey London and the once existing Black London. An elegant smuggler who encounters rebellious and cunning Lila Bard, a woman who just seeks adventure in her life. Travel with these two unlikely heroes between worlds as they fight for their goals and ambitions in this character-driven fantasy novel, where you will learn to be as sacrificing as Kell and to seek where you belong as Lila.

8. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Let’s talk about Melanie Stryder. This book was adapted into a movie, so if you want to know more, you can view the trailer, but this girl can be described in one word: a fighter. Despite having had her body invaded by an extraterrestrial being, she keeps on fighting, and she doesn’t fade to stay with the ones she loves and protect them at all costs. Now that’s an inspiring character!

9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

This book has a special place in my heart. If you haven’t read it, the best description I can offer is that it’s like a nice hug, a warm cup of hot chocolate or both. She’s a hero in my eyes because she overcomes ordinary, everyday troubles—like anxiety and loss—that some of us might have faced once or twice. She learns from them, and she comes out stronger, and that’s something I hope reassures readers of this book, and that they get out of it. If Cath can do it, why can’t you?

10. Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Now… this book isn’t about heroes at all. It’s about villains and anti-heroes who will put you in a morally ambiguous mindset. Victor and Eli were college friends who in a near-death experiment, gain supernatural powers. Now, ten years later, Victor escapes prison with one mission only: to kill Eli. In this book, no one is good, no one has good intentions and no one is forgiving. There is no one to look up to, but it will be a hell of a ride. Who will you be rooting for?

We hope you’ve enjoyed our recommendations! Please check out these character-driven novels and let’s see if you also gain powerful thoughts while being in their worlds. Also, remember to check out Black Panther in theaters whenever you can!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.
Call me Uli. English major and a giant bookaholic. "She gazed through a long reach of future days strung together like pearls in a rosary, every one like the others, and all smooth and flawless and innocent, and her heart went up in thankfulness." -Mary E. Wilkins Freeman