This Book Teaches You How to Eat on $4 a Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Preparing your own meals has many benefits: it can be relaxing to some, it can help develop some culinary skills, and overall, it saves money. The average American spends at least $2,000 every year eating outside. So cooking your own meals can be a great alternative.

For some people, eating at an affordable cost is a challenge in itself.

Leanne Brown, the author of “Eat Well on $4 a day: Good and Cheap” moved from Canada to New York and noticed that many Americans were eating processed foods instead of healthy meals. In an interview, she mentioned that it bothered her that 47 million people on food stamps don’t have the same eating options as everyone else.  Brown did her research at local WIC offices and discovered that SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) recipients receive an average of just $126 per month to buy groceries. Leanne noted that in Canada, programs like SNAP are more flexible and that she truly first saw this as an issue when she came over to the States.

This gave her the idea to write a book on how to make meals on $4 a day since families have to make whole dinners on such restricted budget. These meals are healthy, high in protein, and have all the essential nutrients of a quality plate. She recommends buying in bulk and saving up on things like garlic and spices.

Creamy Zucchini Fettuccine

For three people—$3.50 total; $1.17/serving

Brown has also been an activist to help fight hunger in the US. Which is why the book is free and, as of recently, has been downloaded over 200,000 times.

The book is free and can be read here.  There is also a Spanish version of the book. You can learn more about this version and Leanne on her official website.

Lizbeth is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto rico in Rio Piedras.