This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

There are far too many books in the universe but these are too good to miss out on! You don’t have to read them all in one sitting, but we just want to let you know that they’re definitely worth your time. From LGBTQ+ representation to sexual assault, these novels are more than just ones to fill the spaces of your bookshelf. With these gems, you’ll feel yourself being transported to the strangeness and otherworldliness of science fiction and then find yourself looking behind you with anxiety will entering the world of dark fantasy. What can be better than that? They also make good gifts (wink wink).

This book is one of Rainbow Rowell’s least known but it’s still lovely.

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, and a mystery. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell novel — but far, far more monsters.

A post shared by Rainbow Rowell (@rainbowrowell) on

If you like gay fanfiction, this is the perfect book for you. Rainbow Rowell writes her own version of the famous book series The Simon Snow Series by Gemma T. Leslie. It’s a continuation of her other book Fangirl, but they are not the same. In this spin-off, Rainbow creates a love relationship between the protagonist, Simon, and his roommate, Baz. It’s a magical adventure filled with hate, friendship, and love. Hold on tight because this is an emotional rollercoaster you don’t want to miss.

—Gabriella, 18

You should definitely read this book. It’ll make you feel warm and gooey inside. It’s perfect to read with a cup of hot chocolate cradled in your hands. You can purchase it at iBooksAmazonBarnes & Noble, and Indie Bound.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.