Style > Beauty

Bold Eye Makeup Trends You Can Wear This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Makeup trends are always changing一so much so, that today’s hottest trend may very well be tomorrow’s faux pas. Luckily enough, the 21st-century makeup world is all about self-expression and bold statements. Seen in social media, magazines and everything in between, eye makeup looks take center stage when defining a makeup look. As we move from Spring to Summer 2022, glitter, rhinestones, and bold accents are just some of the trends taking the internet by storm.

The good news is that many of these techniques are simple and don’t require a high level of makeup expertise. Below are a few eye-catching (pun definitely intended) looks to upgrade your daily makeup routine. So, grab your brushes and let’s get to work!

1. Inner Corner Colors

Highlighting the inner corner of the eye is a trend that has been around for a while, especially in glam looks. While this move can create the illusion of a larger eye, switching highlighter for glitter or bright neon hues brings a bold touch to any look, including neutral ones. Nyx’s Face & Body Glitter and Makeup A Murder’s Poison Neon Pigments are perfect for turning your eyes into the focal point of your entire makeup look.

1. Go Graphic

Graphic accents, like dots, lines, and curves, are proof that less can definitely be more. Not short of boldness, a graphic accent expressively stands out. If you’re feeling experimental, try adding different shapes, textures, and colors to elevate your eyeliner; fine-tip tools are highly encouraged. No matter your skill set, graphic accents and eyeliners are the perfect excuse to draw all sorts of shapes on your eyes (and look amazing while doing it!). Colorful liquid eyeliners and water-based paints, like Suva Beauty’s Hydra FX pigments, are just what you need for your graphic eye makeup needs.

1. Pastel Hues

Colors can have a lasting effect even if they’re not always the brightest. Pastel hues are a subtle and effortless strategy to add a soft mood to the eyes. For an even dreamier feel, you can shoot for a soft holographic look with shimmery pastel eyeshadows or highlighters. Violet Voss’ Sugar Crystals includes both matte and shimmery shades for a dreamy versatility you can wear with ease.

1. All About the Face Gems

The Face Gem trend is here to stay, and not just in music festivals. With many of the iconic looks featured in the HBO hit series Euphoria, it comes as no surprise that makeup lovers everywhere now adorn their faces with gems ranging from simple accents to intricate patterns. Face gems can be used in so many ways: as small details below the waterline, to outline creases, or as scattered constellations of pure shimmery magic. Rhinestone brand Get Stonned has a wide variety of gems to get you started.

If there was ever a time to explore eye makeup, this is it! Keep in mind that the only rule is that there are no rules; the makeup world is eager for more experimentation, exploration, and eye makeup madness. Glitter, bright colors, and bold details are all you need for this Spring season!

Sofia Capllonch is a musician and graduate architecture student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. When she isn't working on design projects, jamming out or reading a good book, there's a huge chance you'll find her obsessing over guitar gear or hanging out with her cats.