Culture > News

The Black Mambas Show Female Power Defending Wildlife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If you opened this article thinking it was going to be an informative piece on reptiles, you are dearly mistaken. Black mambas are, in fact, highly venomous snakes easily found in the southern part of Africa, but this article is about an anti-poaching organization that happens to have the same name, The Black Mamba Anti-Poaching Unit, or as some prefer to call them, The Black Mambas.

This group is almost all female, counting with only two men on their team, and they have been patrolling wildlife reserves in South Africa since 2013 protecting the Balule Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Among the animals they defend are lions, pangolins, and elephants, but mainly white rhinos. There are two kinds of white rhinos, the northern white rhinos, of which only three remain, and the southern white rhinos, which the Black Mambas are fiercely safeguarding.  

Poaching is the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of animals; it can also apply to taking animals from zoos, wildlife reserves, and sanctuaries. This has become an increasing problem in South Africa because, with the exception of three white rhinos (the northern ones), they are almost all located in this area, which calls the attention of poachers worldwide. With the passing of time, the poaching situation has gotten worse, but in just one year the Black Mambas eradicated poaching in their zone and the snaring was significantly reduced.

Africa’s unemployment rate is approximately 28%, and for women there are even fewer opportunities. The Black Mambas make minimum wage in their job protecting these species and they develop skills and gain knowledge that have made them heroes to many around them. Not only does this group save animals, they also do community work. They developed the Bush Babies Environmental Education Program, where they partner with schools and teach children the importance of protecting and taking care of wild life.

The women that form part of this anti-poaching unit are brave, courageous, and resilient. There was a goal set before them and they stood up to the plate, trained hard for six weeks, and proudly became Black Mambas. Some faced their fears of large animals, others decided to go after a better life, and every day they all risk their lives to protect these species. Black Mambas are considered heroes in their communities, and they should be considered heroes worldwide. It isn’t every day that a group of women rises up in such a way, and they deserve the recognition.

If you wish to donate or sponsor a Mamba this is the place to go.