Bienvenide Pelu’: Things You Should Know About La Iupi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s your first year in the infamous jungla that is the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras. You’ve downloaded IUPI Map so at least you know where all your classes are already. What if you still feel a bit clueless about what’s going around campus? Well, we’ve compiled a few tips from things upperclassmen wished they knew during their first year! From places to eat to offices to go, we have your back.

El Meson de Amor & Comedores Sociales de Puerto Rico

If you’re low on cash, head to these two amazing non-profit organizations! They dedicate themselves to feed students and people with low resources. El Meson de Amor provides dinner and supplies to the community in Rio Piedras. While Comedores Sociales de Puerto Rico, give out lunches to students in the Socials Department from Monday through Thursday. Donations are suggested and the food is great! So if you don’t have food, make sure to check these out.

Reclassification & Changing Your Major

There’s always a moment during your college career that you truly wonder if what you’re studying is what you want, and that’s okay. No one should judge you for it! If you’re in your first year, consider Reclassification. Every year the university offers a series of orientations for first-year students that desire to change majors. Before actually going through with the process, go to the student orientation from the faculty or department you want to change to. If they aren’t offering orientations, book a meeting with the Dean or any counselors. Stay tuned to your emails so you know when the reclassification period begins! 

Now for second years and up, the road will be less easy depending on where you want to go. Just make sure to get orientated with a counselor in your department, they’ll let you know what are the things you need and if you qualify. Then, wait for the time period in which changing majors are allowed, head to the Registraduria office in Plaza Universitaria and apply. Unfortunately, you will have to pay for a fee of approximately $22.70. If you get accepted you will receive a confirmation at the end of the semester. During the next semester, both types of applicants should be a part of their new major.

Student Associations & Where to Find Them

Joining a student association is part of the college experience! There are so many around campus that we for sure can’t name them all. What you should know is that every department has at least a few organizations you could join. Make sure to look out for flyers in the bulletin boards inviting students, announcements on social media and different events around campus dedicated to the different associations! …Or you could join us here at Her Campus UPR and then you don’t have to go through all the trouble… (Email us at upr@hercampus.com to find out how). Shameless plug, nbd.

DCODE

Mental Health is and should be a priority. If you don’t have access to a psychologist or counseling, DCODE provides services for students in need. DCODE stands for ADD. They’re a part of the Dean of Students and are a free alternative for counseling and group therapy. Go visit their office and get an appointment! They also offer some activities that promote awareness. Remember that health always comes first.

Places to Print

Sometimes our professors don’t get the cost of ink, or maybe you were on your way to class and you forgot to print out your homework that you have to hand in even though you could just email it (saving the trees). Then just go to Promo Image or UPRINT. They’re a great way to solve your printing issues. Promo Image is located by the street on the left side of Mona Lisa, they can print anything you need, professors also tend to send compilations of their lectures there (Promo Image also has cats which is always a plus). UPRINT is at the Universidad train station, they also sell school supplies.

Facebook Groups

Now, this is very important. We all know the university’s emails (more like spam) can go so far, and most of the times if you’re trying to search for information at the 20 different offices around campus you mostly come empty-handed, that’s why somebody ha the genius idea to create a Facebook group for the students! It’s called “Sabes que eres de la IUPI si _____” make sure to look it up and join, there you will find all your answers.

One other group is “VENTA Y COMPRA DE LIBROS UPR-RP” as the name states, in it, you’ll be able to sell and buy the books you need for the semester.

That is all Gallitxs, we hope that our tips could guide you somehow and let us know what we missed!

A sour patch kid raised in the small town of Villalba, Puerto Rico (she'll argue that she's from Ponce though). She's a total geek who takes everything one fandom at a time. Her major is Creative Writing.