This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Ahh the weekend: a time for a collegiette to indulge in some well-deserved R&R (rest and relaxation, for those of you who don’t know).  While it’s rare that we are blessed with an entire weekend without anything due on Monday, it’s perfectly acceptable to pick some time to wind down and relax, bond with friends or with yourself. As an unapologetic food-lover, I consider that one of the best ways to recharge is to go out for a delicious brunch.

The word brunch is a portmanteau, meaning combination of two words, of breakfast and lunch. It is usually a mix of breakfast and lunch meals, eaten between 10am and as late as 3pm on Sundays. So if you ever get a sudden craving for mimosas, eggs benedict and Belgian waffles, Her Campus UPR has got you covered! The following is a list of some favorite brunch spots in the metro area:

1. Abracadabra Counter Café  
Where and when: Santurce. 1661 Ave. Ponce de Leon, San Juan P.R. 00909.  
My personal favorite, Abracadabra has a magic/circus theme vibe, and serves an amazing cup of coffee from Hacienda San Pedro. I recommend the pancakes with fruit-and-nutella and their Croque Monsieur. Enjoy their delicious “Magic Brunch” on weekends in a fun and quirky atmosphere.
Brunch hours: 10:00am to 3:00pm
Telephone: 787-200-0447 // Click here to go to their website

2. Ben and Jerry’s
If you get a sudden craving for brunch during the school day, this spot is only a few train stops away from the UPR! There’s a Ben and Jerry’s right off the Torrimar Station. Try their omelettes and croissants. 
Where and when: Condado, Ventana del Mar and Torrimar Train Station. They offer a daily brunch from opening time until 2:00pm everyday.
Hours: The Condado location opens from 9:00am and their Torrimar location opens from 10:00am.
Telephone: 787-721-0596 // Click here to go to their website 

3. St. Germain Bistro & Café
Where and when:  Old San Juan. 156 Calle Sol, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901. 
Cozy and quiant, visit the St. Germain Bistro & Café for a more refined, delicious Sunday brunch. Perfect for a day out with the family or with your closest friends!
Hours: 10:00am – 3:00pm for Sunday Brunch.
Telephone: 787-725-5830 // Click here to go to their website

4. Under the Trees
Where and when: Gallery Plaza (inside the Doubletree Hotel) San Juan, Puerto Rico. 00914.
Visit on weekends for brunch! Try their salmon eggs benedict and their strawberry banana Belgian waffles – simply delightful. 
Hours: 8:00am – 9:00pm Saturdays and Sundays.
Telephone: 787-721-1200  // Click here to go to their website

5. Waffle era Tea Room a.k.a “La Waflera”
Where and when: 103 Tetuan Street San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901.
Brunch is offered every day they are open! They are famous for making waffles in almost every way imaginable and offer a wide variety of teas.
Hours: Monday 9:00am-3:00pm, Thursday through Friday from 9:00am to 3:00pm; Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00am to 6:00pm.
Telephone: 787-721-1512 // Click here to go to their website

PHOTO CREDIT

Photo collages made by me using Moldiv for iPhone, with photos taken from:

-Ben and Jerry’s Puerto Rico Instagram Account

-Abracadabra Counter Café Instagram Account

-St. Germain Bistro & Café’s Website and Facebook Page

-Doubletree by Hilton 

-Waffle Era Tea Room’s Facebook Page

-TripAdvisor.com

-Yelp.com

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico. 
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!