Wellness

Be Your Own Prince(ss) Charming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

No one is coming to save us. It’s not a thing that happens in real life. No man or woman is going to sweep us off our feet and give us the life we want. We are no damsels in distress. Who even came up with that? Anyways…

R91OcMkrGvVXZnS KgmQAWPx6E jjoC5YQO2NNz p pkdoGyxNqN14V2s0ShdXrX2c4rHDh2onA1J4 PrbIQyeJu LMfCGaqiZ8ES6d3becu88X5lYVborw5aMBXBFa5Cd24TEot

Photo by Ashton Mullins on Unsplash

In the month that celebrates love, we, the single people crew, can’t help it but wish that we had a special someone to give us flowers, chocolates and a nice night out. I will admit that I’m one of those people. 

Here’s what you can do. Take yourself out on a date. I’m planning on taking myself out for lunch, and doing my favorite things such as going to a park, reading a good book, even buying myself some flowers. I don’t know why getting flowers makes me feel great, but it just does. 

Why am I telling you this? Because no one is coming to save us, like I said right at the beginning. Something I always tell myself to not depend on others to get me what I need. That’s literally my favorite piece of advice: Never depend on anyone to give you something you can provide yourself. 

I’m not saying you should isolate yourself from the world and become “Miss Independent Who Doesn’t Need Anyone Ever.” That can be a lonely path. However, it’s important to  simply know that you can work towards what you want, because you are worthy of it, and you are capable of overcoming your difficulties. You don’t have to limit your life to what others can do for you, because there is so much more than that.

GGRsH46lMrzNBr75BGSJcefSIG1ZFSiS7c3p7Ne60Ibt886OKc4hmZCylTM iQiU4oggh84WNIhTGPKLIuNPJHj2pdQWdXCNhYQIFFezAuf2G5y7 7qJpjiFYeCqAEsqmbWZ0w 7

Photo by Alysha Rosly on Unsplash

This is a mindset that I’ve been working on for the past few months: I am capable of achieving complicated and amazing things.  Being your own prince charming (or princess charming) means that you’re the person who can get yourself anything you want or need.

Think about this: we have desires, and places we want to go and things we want to try, but we don’t push ourselves to do them because we don’t like to do it alone. We don’t want to explore a new place by ourselves because we wish for someone else to let us know they want to go with us. It becomes a wish that isn’t fulfilled because we are dependent on the availability of others. 

Never depend on anyone to make you happy, to make you feel whole. 

All that you need, you can find within yourself. All that you want you can get it yourself. I’m not saying it’s easy peasy, like granting wishes from a lamp, but I want you to know that you really are capable of this. You are capable of saving yourself, healing yourself, and loving yourself.

Make sure to be the love of your life in the month that celebrates Valentine’s Day, be the most important person in your life. You are going to be spending the rest of your life with yourself, you have to take care of yourself, nourish yourself, and be there for yourself. You need to get to know yourself, so that you never lose sight of who you are because of someone ever again.

U7hPa F1ulsIKUHpJUTY3s2WBgatbK7 cCGN r W1JFGhdSyNks0zQhlXAd Z Jk1YoDvq5BF4di2v3gmP AQ4uZKzk4FsUb2WuX9MGbe7dLeaFXctQP4o8tS6kRYsklebR pfIv

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Valentine’s Day may have felt lonely this year if the previous one was spent with someone you really loved. Nevertheless, this can be an opportunity for you to cultivate that love within yourself that you know you deserve. Take yourself out on a date, watch a movie, go to a park, get some flowers, write yourself a letter, go to your favorite restaurant, be your own prince(ss) charming, or be a QUEEN, if you go by that style ;) and prove to yourself (yes, yourself, not anyone else) that you are worthy of love and healing. 

Happy Valentine’s Day, week, or month!

Lots of Love,

LYA 🤎

Lilliana Correa Garcia is a wellness and experience writer at the Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. She focuses on topics such as mental health, self love and having the best college experience even if it may be an unusual one. She also adds a bit of her hobbies such as books and creative endeavors to her storytelling. Beyond Her Campus, Lilliana works as a Jr. Executive at Rosado Toledo& where she helps maintain a clear communication between brands and the agency and makes sure the clients’ needs are being met on a daily basis. She has worked as a freelance social media manager for small businesses such as restaurants and hair salons. She interned in the advertising agency previously mentioned which opened the doors for her to join the team part time. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. In her free time, Lilliana enjoys indulging herself in fantasy novels and woking on a draft of her current novel. She also loves visiting coffee shops around her area to spend time catching up with her friends. She’s a whole hearted Swiftie and is committed to learn every single song by heart.