This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’ve known Alondra since 2014 when we were both freshman at UPR. We were both majoring in English Literature, and we both graduated last May. Although not consistently, Alondra has been performing in drag for three years now, and I thought it would be insightful to have a conversation with her about her experience and share it with you all.  

A post shared by Alondra Sofía (@asap_skylark) on

Her Campus at UPR: How did you get into drag?

Alondra Acevedo: It started with the course Literature, Orality, and Performance, where we learned about drag. One of our assignments was to go to a performance and write an essay about it. The professor gave us the green flag to do it about a drag performance and that’s where I found out that there was a drag scene emerging in Rio Piedras. I then realized one of my house mate’s friends is a drag performer. He goes by Anoma Lía. When I saw him, I got intrigued and I interviewed him for my essay where I later expressed to him my interest to become a performer. A few weeks later, he calls me telling me that the theme for the next performance was Queer Cult and that they were doing Clueless. So, he told me I was going to play Cher and I was like, okay… And that’s how I got into it.

HC at UPR: How would you describe your first performance?

AA: It was a lowkey papelón. I was performing as Cher from Clueless as a hyper queen (a woman performing as a woman). I started out lip-syncing but they didn’t put the spotlights on me when they were supposed to, so, I started lip-syncing and nobody saw me. It was when I came down the stairs that the audience was like, “Oh, look, there she is.” I was really nervous, but it was fun.

HC at UPR: How do you Identify your performance character?

AA: As a fluid performer opposed to a drag king (a woman performing as a man) because I tend to play with blurring the lines between genders. I would sometimes present myself as a drag king, others as a drag queen, and others as a fusion of both.

Oh my God , I love Josh #firstperformance #clueless #fauxqueen

HC at UPR: Do you have a mentor?

AA: I have a drag mom and a drag dad that are like my mentors. It’s common for drags to have a drag mom, but rarely a mom and a dad. My drag mom is Anoma Lía, who helped me a lot with costumes, make-up, and by making my mixes. My drag dad is Chris Griandher.

HC at UPR: How did you choose your name?

AA: I went by three names actually. When I thought I was going to be a hyper queen only, I went by Meli Bea, like the Celestine. So, when I started coming out, I felt like my character was coming out as well. So, I started getting interested in drag king and went by the name, Mel Shagwell. Then it became a mess because I would be presented as Meli Bea and ended up performing as Mel Shagwell, so I needed to figure out a name for both genders. Something more neutral. I ended up choosing Skylark, the literal translation of my name in English, since Alondra is a type of bird.

HC at UPR: How would you describe Skylark’s style?

A: I always like to lowkey bring a little bit of everything in terms of music repertoire. My fashion is very fluid. Even if I present as a drag king, which I tend to do mostly at Vidy’s since drag kings are the underdogs, I always add a touch of glitter somewhere.

HC at UPR: Are you intentional with your performances? 

A: I want people to dance and have fun. The shows as a whole tend to have a theme, so within my performance I like to tell a story according to the show’s theme. For example, last Valentine’s day performance, my character was a fuckboy who then falls in love and is dumped. He gets super sad and sings a Bad Bunny song.

HC at UPR: How would you describe the drag community?

A: It depends on the sector. In Rio Piedras, many of them are really nice. They help one another and even get dressed in each other’s places. They’re kind of like a family. However, some get into beef with each other through twitter and whatnot. In terms of performances, the Circo Bar drags at Santurce are more pageant-like performers. They’re more polished. You’ll see them wearing extravagant dresses that you’re left like: woah Here in Rio Piedras, the majority of the performers are students, especially from the IUPI, so we tend to come with more jocularity. We tend to joke about things. The Circo performers would give an amazing performance to a Beyoncé song, and that’s it. In Rio Piedras, performers tend to be more political and funnier. We’re performing in front of an audience that’s more like us, so we understand each other.

HC at UPR: How does a typical day look for you when you have a night performance?

A: Performances start very late, but let’s say I have one at 12:00 a.m., but we should arrive at 11:00 p.m. so that people see us and get hyped. So, I schedule myself to arrive on time. Let’s say I got off work at 5:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. I’m sorry, but I have to take a nap for at least an hour since it’s draining and they do start late. I then eat and start preparing myself around 8:00 p.m., three hours before I have to arrive at the place.

HC at UPR: Any rituals before going on stage? 

AA: “It always helps if I arrive with friends and you’ll usually see the performers backstage with headphones, listening to our mix, and going over it. I’ll probably take a shot of something and let loose, but not get shitfaced because I’m giving a performance after all. Although some do it and give their performances like that.

HC at UPR: Do you make your own costumes?

AA: Sometimes Anoma Lía helps me with costumes, other times I find things and then make adjustments and bedazzled them,make them shiny. Also, I have borrowed them from other performers.

HC at UPR: Is this a hobby or a source of income for you?

AA: Right now it’s a hobby. I would like to take it to the next level, but it requires money. What you get paid for the gig is not gonna compensate for what you went through.

HC at UPR: How is Alondra and Skylark similar and how are they different?

AA: We both like to party and have fun, but I tend to be more insecure as Alondra. Some people would see Alondra as quiet, but see Skylark as a party-mess. Presenting myself as Skylark has given me the opportunity to do things I wouldn’t be able to do as Alondra. I get more confidence from Skylark. I think to myself, though, if I did it as Skylark, why can’t I do it as Alondra? I would say both grow simultaneously because of each other.

HC at UPR: What advice and tips would you give to someone who would like to get into drag? 

AA: Just do it. Research, go to drag shows, and make connections. That’s networking at its fullest. You need to meet people because if no one knows who you are or they’ve never seen you, no place will invite you to perform. Also, don’t expect to earn well, if at all, on your first shows other than the tips of the crowd.

HC at UPR: What behavior do you encourage the audience to have? 

AA: Tipping is always welcome. If you don’t have money, at least pay attention and show respect to the performance. It’s the little things really. By simply recording something, uploading it to social media and tagging them, you’re already helping them have visibility. Also, don’t touch the performer.

HC at UPR: What is next for Alondra and what is next for Skylark?

AA: For Alondra, I’m trying to get my shit together. [laughs] I’m trying to get into grad school and find a more stable job. As for Skylark, I do want to keep performing and growing as a performer. I realize I’m not as out there asking for shows as I should, but I don’t want to let it go.

HC at UPR: Is there anything else you would like to add? 

AA: I’m really happy I’m doing drag. I’ve grown within the community but also, it has helped me grow as a person. I’m happy about all the people I’ve met along the way. Also, doing drag is just like doing something you like to do. Yes, you have to please a crowd, but at the end of the day you sing the songs you like and do what you want. I encourage anyone to try it. It’s very fun and very liberating.

Support your local queens! They’re full of talent. You won’t regret going to one. You can find Skylark on Instagram!

I believe in spreading light and positivity anywhere we find ourselves. I encourage self-love and in lifting our sisters up to be better, stronger, and more confident women. For that, I'm excited to be part of this platform that will allow me to voice my thoughts and share them with amazing ladies interested in starting conversations. Lots of love and positive vibes to everyone.