This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Abbott Elementary is an American mockumentary that anyone can enjoy. This gem of a show has delightful characters, and promotes a message that shines through. Created, written, produced and starred by Quinta Brunson, the story follows happy-go-lucky and idealist second grade teacher Janine Teagues and her dedicated colleagues as they teach in the fictional Philadelphia public school, Willard R. Abbott Elementary. 

The title is based on Brunson’s elementary teacher, and it illustrates the realities that teachers face with the limited resources they have access to. Although it is a recent show, the cast of characters have well-rounded personalities that make them feel real.  

Among the characters, we have social media savvy, aloof and a bit unqualified principal Ava Coleman. There is traditional kindergarten teacher Barbara Howard, who is strict but kind; history teacher Jacob Hill, who is well intentioned but sometimes misses the mark; second grade teacher Melissa Schemmenti, rough around the edges but a sweetheart; and substitute teacher and newcomer Gregory Eddie, who dreams of becoming a principal.

In the same vein of mockumentaries like The Office and Parks and Recreation, the show is taking the reins in becoming the newest hit television show. This unique program puts in front and center the real-life burnout experience of a teacher, especially working in underfunded school districts. Equally, it shows the dedication, hard work and efforts that these educators are committed to achieve to provide the best access of knowledge to every child. In an interview with D23, Brunson mentioned, “What I love the most about the format is it gives an opportunity for the audience to build a different relationship with the characters. I think teachers deserve that.” 

Notably, this show provides a means of representation for stories that have not been told before. As the daughter of a teacher, Brunson displays the importance of showing authentic experiences. Brunson has stated that, “These people are going to do the job. Nothing can stop them. They know all the systemic issues, but at the end of the day, they have to teach your kid how to read… It was important to show a behind-the-scenes look at what teachers really do and do it with humor and heart.” Though systematic issues, underfunding and lack of support exist in the educational system, the show illustrates in a humorous tone the positive impact they make to society. As the show continues to develop and more episode’s premiere, I cannot wait to see what else is in store. 

Interview: https://d23.com/meet-the-class-clowns-of-abbott-elementary/

Kayla M Altagracia Jimenez is a book lover who enjoys writing stories, painting, bullet journaling, listening to music, watching shows and movies. An English Literature student at the UPR Rio Piedras Campus, she loves wandering on new adventures. She dreams of becoming a renowned writer and making a meaningful difference in the world. Admires writers like R. L. Stine, Toni Morrison, and John Green.