9 Things Every Girl Should Keep in Mind About Her Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’ve never bothered to learn much about my car. As long as it took me to where I needed to go, I was fine; and if I ever had any problems, I just went to a mechanic: problem solved. However, every time a spontaneous issue happens to my car and I have to go to the mechanic, I feel like the dumbest person alive. The looks I get when I can’t explain what’s wrong with my car or when I don’t know how the parts are called make me feel embarrassed. As a woman, I’ve learned a few things over the years about being a car owner, and for all you newbies out there, here’s a list of what you should know and the must-haves in your car:

two women sitting on a car
Photo by Elijah O'Donnell from Pexels

Keep your documents in order

Whether new or used, when you buy a car, always keep its registration information with you inside the glove compartment. Also, remember that you have to keep them up to date. Don’t go out without your driver’s license. If you get in an accident, you’ll get a ticket for not having it with you, even if you didn’t cause it.

Learn how to change a tire

Changing a tire is challenging; it’s heavy, but you are a strong and independent woman that doesn’t need a man. So, carry a lug wrench, a car jack, and a spare tire. If you don’t know, a lug wrench is a tool that you use to remove the bolts in a tire, and a car jack is used to lift the car so that you can change your tires. 

Check your gauges

You have to drive looking at them from time to time. Check your fuel gauge, especially when you’re in a traffic jam, and don’t forget the car’s temperature. A vehicle’s death is usually due to overheating, so make sure that the temperature gauge is always on the low C.  

Have an emergency triangle

Make sure to have an emergency triangle so that you can place it in front or on the back of your car. That way, people know that something went wrong and that’s why you’ve parked in the middle or on the side of the road. This is especially important at night, when it’s more likely for someone to stop and help out. 

Have the right numbers

Always have the number of a tow truck company, especially one that works 24 hours. Have the number of a mechanic, a tire service, and a collision repair shop. These are the most important numbers to have on your phone. If you don’t have some of them, you can always ask your local mechanic; they always know someone.

Carry a battery charger

The car battery charger does what the name suggests. It’s great for owners of older cars, which can be prone to malfunctions in the middle of the road. Even if your car isn’t an older model, if it suddenly stops while you’re driving, the battery charger can give it a boost. Make sure to connect the positive on the positive and the negative on the negative. You don’t want your battery to get any more damaged than it already is. 

Have a car pressure tire gauge

A car pressure tire gauge looks like a little compass that you connect to the air socket of your tire and it will let you know how much air your tires have. If you live alone or at a college dorm and plan to head back to your hometown for the weekend, it’s best to check your car’s tire pressure. Get familiarized with the manufacturer’s suggestions on air pressure for your model’s tires, which is most commonly found in a sticker on the inside of the driver’s door. Also, have an inflatable air compressor because sometimes it’s not that the tires need changing; they just need more air, and using the car tire pressure gauge can help you check if your tire is genuinely in need of air.

CLEAN YOUR CAR!

The most important thing on this list and I cannot stress this enough, is to wash that nasty-looking car. Oh my goodness, just by looking at that car, my hands are already dirty. If you don’t want to wash it, take it to a car wash. And clean the interior! I know you see the dirt, I know you see the stains, and you know very well that food does not go in the car. And all those water bottles, why do you have so many, and why do you keep piling them up?! Those books and papers lying around go in your backpack or at home. Those shoes you have in the back seat, leave those things in the trunk or, better yet, at home. Those newspapers are from weeks ago, and you know you’re not going to read them, throw them out, and all those bags; you put them in the trunk.

Okay, that last one was a bit personal, but it’s true: clean that car. Using an air freshener isn’t enough. 

teal interior of car
Courtney Cook on Unsplash
But in all seriousness, stay safe and drive responsibly. Learn the parts of your car and how they work because it’s probable that you could get hustled out of a ton of money to fix something in your car that still has a few years left before it needs actual fixing—speaking from experience.

Pierucci Aponte is a graduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She is doing her M.A on English Linguistics and has a minor in Communications. When not studying, Pierucci either plays video games or watches movies on Netflix. Although her passion is writing, she hopes to become an educator one day.