8 Movies You Didn’t Know Were Books First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

When going to the movies, do you ever watch the trailers for upcoming films and wonder where they come from? Have you ever thought: who came up with this idea? I know, sometimes, I have. Some are based on whatever the writers want to convey and others are based on books that have been previously written. We know of the Harry Potter series or even Twilight – although they weren’t great adaptations. But there are more movies out there that are based on books that have been around years longer than their film counterparts. 

Here’s a list of popular movies that you probably didn’t know were books first:

1. Forrest Gump (1994) – Based on: Forrest Gump by Winston Groom

2. Mean Girls (2004) – Based on: Queen Bees & Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman

3. Jurassic Park (1993) – Based on: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

4. Legally Blonde (2001) – Based on: Legally Blonde by Amanda Brown

5. Pitch Perfect (2012) – Based on: Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory by Mickey Rapkin

6. The Help (2011) – Based on: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

7. Stardust (2007) – Based on: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

8. The Parent Trap (1998) – Based on: Lisa and Lottie by Erich Kästner

Now that you know, how does reading the book before watching the movie sound? Maybe there will be some things the movie didn’t quite explain…

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."