This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Some days are more nostalgic than others, and quarantine has definitely made me more nostalgic. On those days, I crave some throwbacks to help keep myself motivated for my everyday tasks. My feelings are mainly showcased through music― I have playlists of reggaeton, 80s and 90s tunes, and Spanish pop ballads. A few days ago, my social media timeline filled up with before and after posts of past Disney Channel stars, and I was automatically transported back in time. 

It’s impossible to forget the good times as you sang along to these celebrities’ songs on TV. So, I decided to share my inspirational karaoke playlist made up of Disney Channel stars that made us dance in our rooms and sing out loud with friends. Here’s my list of 8 Disney Channel original songs to remember and sing along to today:

You Are the Music in Me – High School Musical 2 (2007)

This is that one classic song that no matter how awful your singing is, it makes you feel as if you could sing flawlessly in front of Simon Cowell and pass with a golden buzzer. The energy it transmits is unique. It reminds me of how music connects us with the people we love. All these songs near make me feel the vibes and memories of the past and remind me of the good times before the pandemic.

Hero – Starstruck (2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt39PaITDhc

When Starstruck first came out, I wasn’t really interested in watching it. It was one of my best friends that recommended it to me, and soon enough, it became one of my favorite Disney movies. My preadolescent heart wanted that kind of friendship and love that the main couple experience through selfless, humble, and charismatic communication. “Hero” summarizes the humble feeling of falling in love in a responsible and genuine way, with no pressure, while feeling almost as if you can actually save that person you love; but not in the toxic way, if not by being right there for them during key moments.

Wildside – Adventures in Babysitting (2016)

I don’t know if this is one of those non-classic Disney Channel movies that didn’t get much attention, but this theme song is everything. It encourages you to break free from situations that make you follow certain norms. It’s a message to feel free and do what fits best for you.

This Is Me – Camp Rock (2008)

Another classic for sure! I remember singing along to this song with my classmates at elementary school. It was so fresh and cool at the time, and it even helped me out with my English. As I grew up, I identified more with the song’s meaning. It describes how we sometimes pretend to be someone we’re not by hiding our true selves, but the song encourages us that it doesn’t have to be that way. It inspires you to be true to yourself, and that’s really the magic behind it.

On My Own – Teen Beach Movie 2 (2015)

This is that one song about acceptance. It’s really hard to go through any type of break up, and it can certainly feel as if the world is ending. Despite how devastated we could be, it’s not the end, and it will get better. This is a song that reminds me about lifting yourself up and carrying on. Maybe this song can motivate you as well whenever you feel like life is crumbling down.

Breakthrough – Lemonade Mouth (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m-oDbkl2CI

I really like the cast and the songs in Lemonade Mouth. This song is different from the other ones in this list, but since the movie’s main theme is friendship, it reminds me that we hold the power to change the world, along with other people that can guide you and support your dreams. This song fosters that sincere feeling that unites people to work for the best they can be.

If Only – Descendants (2015)

This is probably one of the saddest songs in this playlist, but it can be very relatable. It describes those moments where we need to make a decision but we just don’t know how to express our feelings, or we’re just afraid of making the wrong choice. This song helps us understand our feelings, even if we end up singing along to it with a beer in hand.

The Climb – Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009)

I had to conclude the list with my favorite song by Miley Cyrus. This song goes perfectly with every phase of life, because every moment welcomes new challenges. Many people will criticize us, but we have the power to overcome anything we face. If you ever need a push, I encourage you to sing this song at the top of your lungs in the shower.

Singing is a great activity to celebrate any special occasion, or to just break out of your routine and have fun! Be it with friends or alone, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. It’s also creative distraction while we quarantine, and it can be done at a virtual party or even in your own living room. Share your playlists with friends or create one for yourself. So grab a microphone (or a hairbrush) and enjoy the party!

Journalism and Political Science student at Universidad de Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Currently, practicing photography, president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ), UPR-RP chapter and journalist for Latitud 801 and Diálogo UPR. Mother Earth's friend. ?