This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

When we think of tie-dye our minds quickly travel back and stop in the ’70s. We see these long-haired people in colorful clothing, flowers and headbands, spreading peace and love. Even though tie-dye is often associated with the counterculture of the 60’s and 70’s the dyeing technique existed for a long time before that in other countries like Japan! They’d been on the process since the 6th century.

However, in the United States of America, the popularity of tie-dye was born from a capitalist move, which seems ironic. Rit Dye, the textile dye company, was struggling back in the ’60s and Don Price decided that portraying textile dye as more artsy and accessible would boost sales, and it did, making it into the lovely fashion so many of us wear today. Even though tie-dye is often associated with the counterculture of the 60’s and 70’s the dyeing technique existed for a long time before that in other countries like Japan! They’d been on the process since the 6th century.

Yet, tie-dye has transcended and is a wearable fashion today. Anybody can wear this whimsical pattern, whether you’re into brighter or darker shades, you can definitely work this fashion piece out.

Shorts

Have this unique colorful pattern for bottoms! Whether the texture is denim (to hang out) or spandex (for exercising), wearing these pants will be fun and different. It’s recommended to wear these shorts with a single colored shirt in order to enhance its hues.

Blazers

Who else remembers that stunning R13 runway tie-dye blazer! For a more daring look, you can wear this piece with a single lighted color shirt tucked under it and accentuate it with some long-bottomed denim and heels. Don’t be afraid to be loud and colorful when you walk this outfit around.

Dresses

Fun sundresses are best for this pattern, but you can’t go wrong with a simple t-shirt dress. Throw on one of these dresses and combine it with sneakers or heels. You can accentuate it with a belt, or you can let it flow. It’s great for a hang out on the beach or even for the movies. If you’re feeling edgy, a corset belt will look bomb AF.

Sneakers

When in doubt wear those tie-dyes for your feet. Bring a summer and happy mood to your legs with tie-dye sneakers. You can combine them with single patterned clothing, preferable with shorts and a comfortable baggy shirt, just to give out that fresh and cool summer look.

Long Skirts

If Prada did it, so can you! This pattern is not limited to the beach only, take this long-colored skirt to an important evening or a date. It’s new and you can accentuate this tender color with a matching lipstick. Wear it with a bottomed shirt and heels. Have your hair in a bun and get yourself some sparkling earrings and voila!

T-Shirts

It’s okay, we can always go back to basics. T-shirts are fun and casual ways to wear this pattern. Yet, a tie-dye t-shirt is not limited to stay at home. Wear one of these and tuck it inside some single-colored pants, wear a blazer, some heels and your good for a fun hangout with friends.

When it comes to this classic pattern, don’t be afraid to express it on your skin. You don’t have to wear flowers in your head and sing songs about ending war and promoting love to own this textile in your closet. Anybody can wear this fun and creative piece of transcendental clothing any time, anywhere.

Claudia S. Colon Rosa is the Chapter Leader at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. In addition to overseeing all chapter affairs, she manages the magazine’s editorial and contributes to it as a fellow writer, mainly crafting articles under wellness, life, and entertainment. Beyond Her Campus, Claudia has worked as assistant editor for the English department’s academic journal, Sargasso, where she managed the journal’s printing press and distribution. She has also written for Rebeldia magazine and was part of the Her Campus National Writer program where she published an array of articles. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in English Literature and pre-medical studies. When she’s not writing an essay or overwhelmed with chemistry formulas, Claudia loves to watch anime and exercise to dance parties on YouTube. She gets the best of both worlds and she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.