This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Bell-bottoms, or flare pants, became fashion staples in the 1970s as part of the style of counterculture youth, but their history began long before. The first version ever recorded was during the early 19th century. They were worn throughout the 1800s by sailors in the US and British Navy for its functionality. The large legs were easy to roll up when it was needed. The extra room at the bottom of the leg made them easier to remove over boots. And believe or not, the wide legs could be used as flotation devices!

Flashforward to the 1960s: youth was in revolt and rejecting all conventions, which included department stores and the fashion they offered. They began shopping at army surplus stores, restyling and altering the clothing they bought there. The bell-bottom pant formerly used in navy uniforms became a popular item. It was unisex, it was unconventional, and by adding flowers and peace signs to the navy pants, they became a form of expressing anti-war sentiment. Eventually, bell-bottoms became essential to the counterculture lifestyle. Demand was higher than supply, and people started tailoring their own versions. 

By the 1970s, designers began releasing their own version of these pants, turning them into a trend. Celebrities like Sonny and Cher began sporting them, solidifying the bell-bottom’s entry to mainstream culture. Denim became a common fabric in the mass production of these pants. By the end of the 1970’s and beginning of the 1980s, the fad had passed. But just a decade later, the flare jeans had a revival as part of the baggy styles of 90’s fashion, adapted to what was known then as “flares” or “bootcuts”. Since then, the trend has come and gone, and every time it appears with new alterations to the original 70’s style, in all types of fabrics and colors. 

A post shared by NISHKAMI™️ (@nishkami) on

A great alternative to skinny jeans, bell-bottoms have a slimming high waist and elongate your legs. They can be worn casually or for more dressier occasions. Depending on the length of the flare, they can be paired with boots, pumps, or strappy heels.

For a comfortable and cute outfit, try a crop top with bell-bottoms and a statement necklace or statement earrings. For a more 90’s-inspired look, put on a choker instead. Another casual and stylish combination to try is a white tank top tucked into a printed pair of flare pants. A basic tee with tucked into an ankle-length flare jean, also known as kick flare, is another simple but very put-together look. Pair it with a blazer or a cardigan for a more business casual look. If you want to go for a full “hippie” look, pair it up with an oversized shirt or a cowboy jacket with round, metal-rimmed glasses and flat shoes like sandals.

If you try any of these outfit ideas, please tag us on Instagram!

Gabriela is a feminist screenwriter and art lover with a passion for cultural critcism, media studies, sexual education, speculative fiction, and cute animals. She's in her last year of college, double majoring in Film Studies and English.