This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Who doesn’t know of ‘70’s disco? The music, the dances, the lights and, of course, the famous clothing. From glitter to lots of colors, 70’s disco fashion brought a new look to the world in contrast to the ‘60’s hippie look. Icons like Donna Summer that influenced disco music and fashion, nailed every disco party with metallic glitter dresses.

You think of disco and ultimately glitter comes to mind. A disco party without glitter wouldn’t really be a disco party. From glitter dresses to glitter boots, everything shined back in the day while people danced the night away to ABBA. Sometimes colors and glitter were mixed together for a fun, trendy outfit. Pink, orange, blue, all in their brightest shade were also big on disco clothing. High colorful boots with wide platforms were the go-to shoes for parties (especially white ones). They were paired with mini skirts, short dresses or even bell-bottom pants.

A post shared by 2.5D (@2point5d) on

Even though we feel that disco clothing has phased out from the current fashion canon, there are some new takes on the past loud and extra trend. Nowadays, ravewear has come to replace disco clothing. Even then, there are plenty of ways to style the 70’s trend. Disco clothing has a wide variety of styles and outfits to choose one, so here are some of the best ones.

Fit-and-Flare Jumpsuits

If you find yourself getting pulled towards the loud print of one of these jumpsuits, don’t despair. They’re excellent on their own. You won’t have to do much styling. Throw on some black booties, black heels, or black sneakers, and you’ll have a fashionable look. If you want a tame pattern, then jewelry is where you need to shine–literally! Get some glitz-and-glam and you’re ready to go.

Ridiculously Mettalic Clothes

I feel that metallic clothes have been in and out of circulation for the past few years, but this trend is so reminiscent of the 70’s. Nowadays, metallic fashion is styled in quite a few ways. Metallic tops (regardless of color) look great in contrast with black pants. Metallic dresses are a standalone classic and look great with white accents. All in all, dare to shine!

Super Flared Skin-Tight Pants

These are different from the flared pants in general because there’s no way you’re getting away with even wearing underwear under these. These are perfect with chunky knit sweaters, jean jackets and cropped tops, or even with sheer tops if you really want to go for the daring look. Be sure to wear this with the outmost confidence or things could go wrong.

You’re probably thinking “70’s disco fashion was crazy” and, honestly, it was. We still have to acknowledge that there are a few fun ‘70s disco trends that have been modified into our modern fashion world. So if you were inspired to mix-and-match a ‘70’s vibes outfit, feel free to tag us on Instagram!

Alanys Vazquez is a Comparative Literature student in the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She loves books, the beach and speaking out on her beliefs.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.