andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons Why You’re In the Friend Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As Valentine’s Day came and went, you realize that cutie you’ve had you’re eye on still hasn’t made a move. Chances are he even went to a singles party instead of asking you out. How dare he! Sometimes we don’t entirely understand how things work between girls and guys… we even expect them to magically read our thoughts! Maybe a part of us knows exactly what they’re thinking, but we shrug it off anyway. Still, we wonder what’s keeping that perfect human being from making a move — the reasons may surprise you. We wish someone had told us what to do to avoid the dreaded friendzone!

• You’re his best friend. Hooking up with a friend, especially a close friend, is not something casual. At some point, one will develop feelings for the other, things will get messy and someone will end up hurt. You do not want to lose your best friend.  
  • You’re too important to them. Once again, they care too much to ruin what you have. They care about you too much to put you through the whole break-up-make-up cycle. 
  • You’re “one of the guys”. Guys don’t want a girl that thinks like one of his guy friends. This doesn’t mean that she should be ultra-feminine; she can be into guy stuff. But guys need a girl to confide in, a girl they can trust, away from the guys; and if he starts hooking up with a girl from his guy group, it’ll feel like he’s making out with one of his soccer buddies.
  • You’re good in bed, but not in a relationship. There’s clearly a lot of sexual tension and chemistry, but it’s awkward when the clothes are back on. Maybe he’s not looking for anything serious, or maybe you’ve gotten hurt badly before. Between you two, it’s just risky business. 
  • You’re driving down a one-way street. Remember that although you may have feelings for someone, the other person might not reciprocate them. 
  • You’re too comfortable around each other. You both make NO effort whatsoever to look around each other. Brushing your hair, wearing makeup or decent, non-stained clothes? Nah. 
  • He’s just not THAT into you. They may like you, but are always commenting on you how great would things be if you were with someone else. And if they flirt excessively with someone else right under your nose, you’ll be sure that he really doesn’t like you all that much. 

Now that you know why he hasn’t made a move, it’s time to move on and choose a new boy toy to charm. HCXO, collegiettes™!

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.