7 Puerto Rican Albums that Premiered During Quarantine and Are Still Charting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Oh, I know! Hard times the ones we’re living. How many of you listen to music to relieve stress? 

Turns out that, according to Harvard Medical School, music can increase a good neural system functioning, slow the heart rate, and lower blood pressure, meaning it can help reduce some inflammations and, most importantly, stress. This is without including the unique spark that it brings to each person’s life depending on their tastes or what they’re going through. 

Since quarantine began, many of us turned to music for entertainment and stress relief, and artists have also looked for ways to continue creating musical masterpieces. Thanks to them, we had great music to keep us company all throughout quarantine (and we still do). Mostly in the genres of rap, trap, reggaeton, and similar styles, here are seven commercial albums starring Puerto Rican artists that came out during quarantine and are still charting within the Billboard Top Latin Album Chart:

YHLQMDLG by Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny’s YHLQMDLG (Yo hago lo que me da la gana) came out one week before the quarantine lockdown first began in Puerto Rico, in March. After 58 weeks, it’s still number two on the Billboard Top Latin Album Chart. It includes 20 songs featuring artists such as Myke Towers, Anuel, Yaviah, Ñengo Flow, Jowell & Randy, and other rappers, my favorites being “La Difícil” and “Una Vez.” The album includes mostly reguetón tunes. In fact, Bad Bunny revealed he created it by using an iconic Puerto Rican activity as inspiration: las fiestas de marquesina o garaje that he used to go to when he was younger. 

Las Que No Iban A Salir by Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny released Las Que No Iban A Salir during quarantine, in May. It includes ten songs that the singer was supposed to include in his latest album but never did. Later on, he made an Instagram Live playing some of the songs that he then decided to release as a completely different album. The recording is number 12 at the Billboard Top Latin Album Chart after 48 weeks from being released and includes artists such as Don Omar, Nicky Jam, and Jhay Cortez. It’s a really good album to chill to, and I recommend listening to “BYE ME FUI” and “BAD CON NICKY.”

Emmanuel by Anuel AA

Anuel AA released the Emmanuel album exactly one month after Bad Bunny’s YHLQMDLG. It includes 22 songs with collaborations that feature Tego Calderón, Enrique Iglesias, Bad Bunny, and Lil Wayne. The album stayed at number 11 on the Latin Album Chart after 45 weeks of having been released. This mostly trap-and-reguetón recording is meaningful, considering that it revealed a variety of both childhood and adult stories from Anuel’s personal life. If you feel like dancing, put on “Reggaetonera,” “Narcos” or “Hasta Que Dios Diga.” If you want to feel badass, put on “Así Soy Yo” featuring Bad Bunny.

Enoc by Ozuna

Enoc (El negrito ojos claros) by Ozuna was released six months after lockdown started in Puerto Rico. The album, which features 20 songs, was successful after having released a few singles preluding the release of the entire project. Including featurings from Karol G, J Balvin, and Daddy Yankee, the album is number 14 on Billboard’s Top Latin Album Chart after 31 weeks of being out. Ozuna’s album hit was “Caramelo,” but I loved “No La Mires” featuring Jhay Cortez.

Afrodisíaco by Rauw Alejandro

Nine months into quarantine, Rauw Alejandro released his album Afrodisíaco, which includes not only reguetón, but also techno beats and collaborations with artists like Sech, Zion & Lennox, and Wisin & Yandel. Rauw Alejandro really knew how to get us all to dance with this album and it’s very hard to pick a favorite one, although I could say I love the featuring with Anuel AA titled “Reloj.” The project has 16 songs total and it’s still number 7 on the Billboard Top Latin Album Chart after 21 weeks of release. 

El Último Tour del Mundo by Bad Bunny

Less than a year after releasing YHLQMDLG, Bad Bunny surprised us with his fourth album, titled El Último Tour Del Mundo. Released in November, it is a completely different-sounding project that includes trap, reguetón, and different styles of rock, and features artists like Rosalía and Abra. After releasing the single “DÁKITI” with Jhay Cortez, Bad Bunny released the album, which has been number 1 at the Billboard Latin Top Album Chart after 20 weeks of release. I really could never pick a favorite song from this album, but I admit that the first ones to hit me were “TE MUDASTE,” “SORRY PAPI,” “120,” and “ANTES QUE SE ACABE.” 

Los Dioses by Anuel AA & Ozuna

Almost one year after lockdown began in Puerto Rico, Anuel AA and Ozuna released a collaborative album named Los Dioses in January. This 12-song project is number 22 at the Billboard Latin Top Album Chart after 11 weeks of releasing and is mostly a slow reguetón and trap one. I loved the songs “100,” “Dime Tú,” and “Nunca.” You should go listen to the album and pick your favorites.

I know quarantine has knocked down certain hangouts, but there are other ways to enjoy good music and have fun. I hope you can enjoy these amazing albums starring Puerto Rican artists!

Itzel Rivera is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's studying Information & Journalism with the purpose of providing people the knowledge they need to educate themselves. Itzel aspires to execute her profession, values and principles in a way that it impacts society. Also, she loves lifting weights, studying and doing anything that will get her closer to her dreams!