books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Ways To Motivate Yourself To Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You get accepted into college. Fast forward, and it’s your first day of studying (in any year). You’re excited, have everything organized and you study every minute of the day. After a week or two, you feel exhausted and wonder why you even decided to go to college in the first place. Gradually, you stop studying and your grades begin to drop. Sadly, this happens on a day-to-day basis with many students. Here are a few ways you can get motivated to study:

1. Carry around an object as a reminder

One way to get motivated into studying is to remember why you started in the first place. But how? Carry something everywhere you go that resembles your reason of starting your dream. It can be a keychain, picture (digital or physical), or even a sticker. What’s important is that, the moment you see that object, you feel determined to finish everything.

2. Set rewards/goals

Setting goals is a perfect way to get motivated. By doing so, you can also set a weekly reward when such goals are met. This way, you can have something to look forward to when the weekend arrives; like binge-watching a series, reading that book you’ve bought but never had the chance to even pick up, or hang out with your friends.

3. Motivational Quotes

Googling some motivational quotes is an excellent method to get determined into studying. If you want it to be more effective, try printing them out and sticking them onto the wall of your desk. That way, when you look at them, the need to get things done will influence you to do so.

4. Don’t Force Yourself 

It’s important to get the work done, but if you do too much, you’re actually doing more harm than good- this even makes you even less motivated to do things. Take 15-30 minutes of break. Listen to music or read for fun for a while. Afterward, continue your work for a while and then take another break. You’ll see that this will be effective because you’re giving your brain time to process that information, and doing so will give you a sense of satisfaction because you finally understood that one math problem.

5. Be with people who encourage you

Being around people who support you will increase your motivation. This is because they will help you when you need help with one class, and even try to encourage you in every way possible for you to reach your goals and earn yourself that reward you set for at the end of the week.

6. Work where you feel comfortable

Whether it’s the library, your desk, or bed; it’s always a good idea to work where you feel comfortable. Doing so will make you feel less pressured and help you do your work faster which brings you even closer to your goal.

Looking for motivation isn’t easy, but once you do finally have it, make sure you don’t lose it. It’s one way to be sure that your semester will be a successful one.

Good luck with studying! You can do it!