This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I like to think that I stay on top of current fashion, and even if I don’t buy every trendy article of clothing, I like to know what’s on-trend. Accessories can make or break an outfit, and even if you might feel like your outfit is kind of bland, these trendy styles will take it to a whole new level. 

Barrettes

You might remember them as the snap hair clips your mom used to make you wear when you were younger. This hair accessory has been trendy since 2019, and they’re great because, not only do they look really cute, they also hold your hair back! There are numerous styles for you to choose from depending on your aesthetic; from colorful to neutral or even with pearls and rhinestones. You should definitely get some!

Chunky shoes

From chunky sneakers (dad shoes) to chunky platform shoes, this one is probably my favorite trend since 2020. A year ago, I bought those FILA sneakers that some people seem to love and some hate; and honestly I don’t regret it, they are so comfortable. I also just picked up a beautiful pair of chunky shoes from Koi Footwear, and these are a staple in people’s closets this year. What’s best, you can pair them with a variety of outfits!

Padded headbands

If you really want to make a statement with your accessories, old-fashioned, padded headbands are the way to go. They’re dramatic but still girly enough to wear easily. You can pair them with dresses, jeans and even suits!

Baguette bags

This 90s trend came back with full force during 2020—hopefully to stay. It’s a small yet functional bag that can make any outfit so much cuter. Plus, you’ll look expensive even if it’s a $10 bag from SHEIN

Bucket hats

These hats have been on-trend for the last couple of years, and from the looks of it, they aren’t leaving any time soon. They give your outfit a laid back look while still making you look stylish. 2020 came to experiment with textures, and because of that, celebrities and fashion enthusiasts have been sporting bucket hats made of fuzzy fabric, jean fabric, corduroy and even crochet! If you feel like giving your outfit a little bit of spice, try a bucket hat!

Square toe strappy heels

When I think of these, I think of 90s movies and TV shows. These are the type of shoe that screams “I’m fancy and I work for my own money.” They look best with long dresses and skirts or with a pant suit. Now that they are on trend, there’s tons of options for any occasion, so go ahead and grab a pair!

Trends are always changing, and sometimes you may feel like you find a trendy accessory, get around to buy it, and suddenly it’s not trendy anymore. But don’t worry, even if trends come and go you can still rock them anytime and anywhere! 

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.