This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

San Juan is ready to welcome thousands of Puerto Ricans and tourists that will arrive at Las Fiestas de las Calles de San Sebastian. Puerto Ricans will finalize the holiday season in style and with a bang. Las Fiestas are starting this Wednesday 17th and will continue until Sunday 21st, so it’s time to get ready and prepare for the festivities. This is one of the most celebrated and crowded festivals on the entire island. If you want to be prepared for any situation be sure to bring these 8 things:

1. Cash

It’s better to visit your local ATMs before coming to Old San Juan. Expect to wait in line for a long time if you want to withdraw money at an ATM during the festivities. Bringing cash is important because, during the festival, many bars, local artisan shops, and food kiosks will take cash only. It makes for quicker transactions. On the bright side, you won’t be able to go over your budget: bring the money you plan to spend, no more.

2. Water

With the combination of walking, dancing, waiting in lines, crowds and heat it is important that you stay hydrated. You’ll regret not bringing some when you get thirsty and see a huge line to just to buy an expensive bottle of water.

3. Cellphone

The cellphone is an obvious necessity. It can really get us out of trouble when we most need it. In this case, it can serve as a map and you can look up the schedule of the different activities offered at the festival. Most importantly you can take pictures and videos of all the craziness you see at la SanSe.

4. A Battery Pack

Your phone will surely drain quickly between taking pictures and using the GPS. You might need it in an emergency, and stressing over whether that 15% will be enough or not is certainly not the greatest way to spend a party. Bring a fully charged battery pack for when your phone needs an extra boost.

5. Bathroom Necessities

Fair warning: the bathrooms will not be in the best shape. Most of these are porta-potties; they won’t be properly maintained so expect stink and no toilet paper or soap. Be prepared with mini toilet paper rolls or wet wipes and some hand sanitizer. 

6. Designated Driver  

If you’ll travel by car and plan to drink during las fiestas, don’t forget to invite the friend who doesn’t drink. You can still have fun without alcohol. Nobody wants drunk drivers in the streets, so please be responsible. Don’t drink and drive!

7. Musical Instrument

If you’re always the life of the party, don’t forget to bring your pleneras. That way you can add to the celebration with some music and good vibes.  

8. A Good Attitude

The most important thing to bring is your good humor and have fun! Sometimes, papelones will happen. Some rando might spill a drink on you by accident. Brush it off! Everyone is having fun, and the streets are so crowded that sometimes you just can’t be as careful as you’d like!

With all these things you’ll be prepared for anything. We hope you have a great time and enjoy everything that this colorful event has to offer.