david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Spooky Podcasts Perfect for the Halloween Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s spooky season, and you know what that means. Spooky movies, TV shows, books, music, memes, and everything in between have taken over the collective mind of our generation for the duration of the month of October. All of the above are great for getting in the mood for Halloween, but let’s not forget one of the most underrated forms of entertainment– podcasts. Here’s a list of spooky podcasts to get ready for the season.

Let’s Get Haunted

In Let’s Get Haunted, hosts Aly & Nat share real spooky stories for lovers of the paranormal. These stories range from historical events and true-crime to urban legends and government conspiracy theories. All the stories are related to the occult but they’re narrated in a light-hearted and relatable tone that is guaranteed to make you smile. Listeners can even submit their own spooky stories for a chance to be featured in an episode.

Listen to this podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Soundcloud.

The NoSleep Podcast

The NoSleep Podcast has become a popular compilation of original paranormal horror fiction stories that, like the name of the podcast suggests, will be sure to keep you up at night. This podcast brings storytelling to life with its background music, sound effects, and a wide range of voice actors. It has 8 years’ worth of content, perfect for binging.

Listen to this podcast on The NoSleep Podcast Website, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Soundcloud.

Sword and Scale

True crime junkies: this podcast is for you. The hosts at Sword and Scale narrate the stories of heinous crimes that actually happened and the legal repercussions they had, even incorporating real 911 calls into the show. It also features interviews with the surviving victims, witnesses, and, in some cases, with the criminals themselves.

Listen to this podcast on the Sword and Scale Website, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Soundcloud.

Monstruo

For those who want a truly horrifying and immersive audio experience, Monstruo is sure to chill your bones. Disclaimer: it’s not for the faint of heart, and I mean it. It may not be suitable for some audiences. Based on true events, this podcast is a compilation of 9 horror stories that explore just how evil humanity can be, very graphic details included. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Listen to this podcast on the Monstruo WebsiteSpotify, and Apple Podcasts.

Lore

Lore makes you feel like you’re huddled around a campfire, listening to non-fiction horror stories that make you constantly look over your shoulder and hug your friends a little tighter. This popular podcast explores real stories of crime and horror with folkloric elements sprinkled throughout in a comfortable but intriguing manner, staying true to its catchphrase, “Sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction”.

Listen to this podcast on the Lore Podcast Website, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Soundcloud.

My Favorite Murder

This true-crime podcast has a twist: it’s hosted by a pair of comedians. My Favorite Murder may cover scary stories, often involving murder and other horrible events, but they’re told in such a way that you can’t help but laugh.

Listen to this podcast on My Favorite Murder Website, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts.

I hope these podcasts keep you up at night with just the right amount of fright and excitement. Head on over to Spotify and give these podcasts a listen! Happy Halloween!

English Literature major with a passion for words.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.