This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Young Adult (YA) book genre has been all the rage lately. There have been countless book-to-movie adaptations and people are backing the genre incessantly. Sometimes readers forget to give Middle Grade, or kids books, love. You might think that you won’t enjoy them because they’re too childish or just plain silly, but does it matter? You shouldn’t be embarrassed about reading these kinds of books! You’ll open up a world of possibilities. Magic, mischief, and friendship, what’s not to love? Grab some tea, water, coffee, milk, or even hot water and honey lemon magic and give one of these books a try!

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 4,113 pages

These are my all-time favorite books and they’re also mega classics. They have everything you could ask for: action, romance, plots for world destruction, mystery, suspense, and on top of that, magic. You probably know Harry Potter (who doesn’t?)but, in case you’ve been living under a rock for countless years, I’ll describe the plot. This series is about a 12-year-old who lives with his aunt and uncle. One day he discovers he’s a wizard and that he’s been accepted into Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The seven-book series narrate how he goes up against insurmountable odds. You can find the first one, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone anywhere and everywhere.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 1,718 pages

I read the 5 books of the main series when I was 11 years old but I’m currently rereading them and I’m enjoying them as much as I did before. There are other series related to the main one (Heroes of Olympus, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, and The Trials of Apollo) and I’m hoping to get to them as soon as I finish the first five books. These books are about a kid that discovers he’s a demigod, a son of Poseidon. He goes on quests while fighting the different enemies and monsters that are constantly trying to kill him. You will surely find the way mythology is handled interesting.

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 315 pages

I’ve never actually read this one but I’m really interested in it and tons of people have recommended it to me. Some people describe it as an emotional journey; others, as a brilliant book that should be appreciated by everyone. The book is about Auggie, a kid that was born with a face different from others that want to be treated just like the other kids. The book revolves around the people who interact with Auggie, how they react to his gene mutation, and how he overcomes all of these challenges.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis.

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 1,662 pages

A classic series to read. I read these 7 books in like a week when I was 12 years old and after that, I’ve read it them a couple more times. They have different protagonists throughout the books, but all of them are brave kids that go on great adventures. The only one that’s a little bit boring is the first one, but after that, they’re amazing action-packed books. The books are full of mythological creatures and magic. The writing is so easy to read you’ll feel like you’re flying through the books.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 2,804 pages

These books are about a 15-year-old farm boy that finds a blue stone in the forest. He takes it with him, the rock starts to make sound, and out comes a blue baby dragon that he names Saphira. He is suddenly thrown into a world of magic, fighting, and adventures; where he has to train as the first of the new generation of Raiders.

Anne of Greengables by L. M. Montgomery

Genre: Coming-of-age

Pages: 320 pages

This fantastic, classic book is about an orphan redheaded girl that has a mind full of imagination and fun. She lives with a brother and a sister at their farm, Greengables. She’s a girl that’s very determined, straightforward and opinionated. She brings joy and life to all of those around her. This book teaches people to not give up even if their lives are going downhill, to not be afraid of making some mistakes once in a while, and to always be sincere with yourself and those around you. I personally have this beautiful edition from the Barnes and Noble Collectible Editions.

Giving these Middle-Grade books a try will bring you joy and some life lessons that are very important for each individual. The quality of a book is not based on the age it’s targeted to and I’m sure any person could enjoy these Middle-Grade books.

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.