This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

By Alana Meléndez RIvera

Sometimes when you get together at a friend’s house, you don’t know what to do. There are so many options that it’s impossible to choose. When those times come, consider this: card games. They are the answer to cure boredom, since the results while playing them are never the same. It also allows  people to play at the same time instead of having to play “the loser passes the control” games. Nobody will be left out and everyone will have a good time. It’s a win-win! Here are six card games that you should totally get for your next reunion. 

1. Uno 

I know what you are thinking, “everyone knows this game.” But I’m here to tell you that you would be surprised at how many people have never played it. Uno is an easy game to play, you get cards and you have to get rid of them…except you have to wait for a color or a number to get rid of that and pray nobody hits you with a +2, +4 or skip. This game, while appearing innocent, can ruin friendships, and that’s without including the new versions of the game like, Uno Flip or Uno Dare! And remember to shout “Uno!” before anyone when you have your last card, or face the consequences and take cards again!

1. Raitrú! 

Have you ever played Cards Against Humanity? Well, Raitrú is like that, but so much better. While it has the same rules of the judge picking the funniest card and whoever has the most red cards collected at the end wins, it is funnier. Why? Because it is based on our culture of course—Puerto Rican culture! Nothing better than putting together Puerto Rican situations, celebrities, dark humor and more! Laugh at your pain with your friends! 

1. $#!% Happens: To me, to you, to pretty much everyone 

The name of this game is pretty accurate, am I right? This card game is all about guessing. You pick three cards at the beginning, which gives you a range of situations with a ranking of which one is worst. After that, another card is picked, and you need to choose where to put it in the rank. Is stepping on a leggo better than falling in public? Or should it go between falling in public and breaking a leg? You get it right, you get the card and add it to your collection. The first to get to ten wins! However, this game is 18+, so be careful of playing it around children!

1. For The Girls™

This game has it all. Never have I ever, truth of dare, rapid fire, best of the best and most likely to… What more can you ask for? So, roll the dice and pick a card and let it guide you! But be ready to do and say embarrassing things in the name of friendship! The player that gets to keep the most cards wins. Once again, this game is 17+ so no children are allowed! But hey, it can be played by 20 people or more (that for sure will end in chaos)! 

1. What Do You Meme? 

For the meme kings, queens and all royalty! This is your game! Collect memes by putting in the funniest caption for it. Whoever has the most memes in the end wins. And hey, if you create a masterpiece while playing, please put it on social media so everyone can see it.

1. Bad People

Bad People is a voting game. Vote for your friends while playing a savage version of who is most likely to do something. The game works this way: each player picks an identity card that will identify them for the rest of the game, and after that, one player gets to be the “Dictator” and picks a card. Once the person reads that card, everyone votes in secret for the person most likely to do what’s in the card. Once done, everyone reveals who they voted for and whoever matches what the “Dictator” chooses gets the points. The person with the most points at the end wins. So get in the mind of the “Dictator” and you will be just fine! 

Card games can save a party from being dead! Go collect these games and get ready to play them once the pandemic is over! 

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.