This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all heard the phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover” at least a million times throughout our lives. It’s true that you never know what amazing stories could be hiding inside not-so-amazing covers, but aesthetics are important sometimes too! There are books out there with covers so beautiful that they’ll take your breath away (and definitely be a great addition to your bookshelf aesthetic). It’s totally okay to buy books just because they’re pretty to look at! Why not? Life is too short to not appreciate the little things, so it’s safe to say that some books are meant to be judged by their cover. Here’s a list of beautiful books with equally, if not more, beautiful covers:

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

As soon as I saw The Shadow Between Us, I knew I needed to have it on my bookshelf. The contrast between the red and black is just marvelous. It looks beautiful and mysterious. But the best thing about it is what’s under the cover: the title is written in  shiny silver letters! All of this over a striking red background! It’s such a majestic sight. Apart from just looking pretty, the reviews say that this fantasy book is amazing. There you have it: two for one!

You can find it here: Barnes&Noble and Amazon

The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh

The Beautiful is another black and red beauty. This one, in contrast, has a mound of blood-red petals pouring out of a silver goblet superimposed over a black canvas. The cover looks like it’s moving, so it makes a fascinating illusion. It’s so aesthetically pleasing that it makes me want to cry. This murder-mystery/fantasy is an attractive book worth purchasing. It shouldn’t be any surprise that the reviews for this one are also amazing! 

You can find it here: Amazon, Barnes&Noble and Book Outlet 

The Trials of Apollo series by Rick Riordan 

I might be a little biased because I love Rick Riordan’s books… but the installments of The Trials of Apollo series are so good-looking! They’re full of the cutest art. These additions will be a pop of color to your bookshelf. Under the colorful covers lies a distinctly shiny golden seal that makes the books unique and sets them apart from others. It’s also fun to read about Apollo as a human struggling to survive. Once again, Uncle Rick brings the best mythology alive straight to your hands!

You can find them here: Barnes&Noble and Amazon

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer 

Starting with Cinder, throughout all the installments of the saga, The Lunar Chronicles have such interesting and mysterious covers. The mix of futuristic elements with symbols from timeless fairy tale stories that we all recognize is just iconic. They have made new covers for them in the latest editions, and while pretty, I still prefer the simplicity of the original art. The book covers may catch your attention, but the content keeps you engaged too!

You can find them here: Amazon, Barnes&Noble and Book Outlet

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

The Serpent & Dove cover: chef’s kiss! It’s just gorgeous. Gold over black might be my new favorite color palette. The black makes the gold look brighter, making for an attention-grabbing cover. Also, the snake looks lovely and mysterious, especially when it’s used as a part of the typography. Every piece of this cover fits in with the other and the story inside is simply magnificent. It’s a great book with an even better cover, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. 

You can find it here: Amazon and Barnes&Noble

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Even though the black and gold juxtaposition remains a favorite, this white and gold combo has won me over. The contrast of light between the colors used on the cover of The Cruel Prince creates a stunning effect. Those who said that white is boring are now shaking before it. The book cover looks simple, yet elegant. The fantasy story inside it is also great, because what isn’t great about the Fae? 

I hope you enjoy this list of beautiful book covers and their stories. Feel free to tell us which book cover you would die for!

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.