Style

50’s Fashion Highlights: Saddle Shoes, Stilettos, and Kitten Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

When we think of the 50’s fashion, the picture that comes to our minds is the classic pink poodle skirt. Even more, we think about glamorous 50’s Hollywood actresses like Marilyn Monroe. However, people don’t often realize that 50’s trends in shoes are still in style to this day. Kitten heels, saddle shoes, and stiletto heels surely bring us back to the 50’s, but we still see even our favorite celebrities rocking these three specific types of shoe.

Saddle Shoes

I begin with the most immediate mental picture that comes to anyone’s head when mentioned 50’s shoes: saddle shoes. This usually black and white style was mostly used by teenage girls along with some bobby socks folded down two or three times. Today, we still see actresses like Elle Fanning rock these shoes with a simple and modern fit: dress pants and a blazer.

Stiletto Heels

Next in our list comes stiletto heels. These are still very common to see worn today. At any red carpet again, most celebrities will pair a classic stiletto heel with an elegant dress or even a tuxedo. When we think about stilettos, we think about those classic red-bottom Louboutins. These 4-inch or higher heels became a craze in the 50’s. An interesting fact is that at the time, these eventually got forbidden in places like museums or court houses because the spiky heels caused dents all over the place’s wooden floors.

Kitten Heels

Lastly, I highlight kitten heels, which are way much shorter than stilettos. These are still very much used by popular celebrities, and we can actually see that this style of shoe has also served as inspiration for high heels we see to this day. In the 50’s, kitten heels began being pointed at the front. They got rounder by the end of the decade, but the pointy front has stuck and inspired shoe designers as its shape makes the wearer seem taller. It’s also a very elegant-looking shape. With pretty and simple dresses or skirts, close enough to the 50’s, celebrities like Taylor Swift, Zooey Deschanel, and AnnaSophia Robb rock kitten heels.

Alondra Liz Colón Delgado is an Art History and Comparative Literature student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras campus.