alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexander sinn KgLtFCgfC28 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The 5 Things that Made Me Realize He Was “The One”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Love is not an easy thing to decipher. Love can make you desperate, it can make you confused, it can make you do things you never knew you could do. Of course, there are different types of love, such as love for family members and friends, but let’s focus on romantic love. How do you know if you have found the perfect person: “The One”? What things can make you realize that this person is someone who has qualities that make them stand out from the rest? I’m not a love guru, but I want to try my best to give you some advice on the qualities I saw in the person whom I am with now and forever will be.

Attention to detail

If you told your partner about a book you liked or an activity that was coming up, and your partner remembers even weeks from when you told him, that’s a great quality that easily distinguishes your partner from others. Being attentive doesn’t just mean for your partner to remember important things about you, but it also means how your partner can read your emotions with just a look: being concerned when you feel down, asking about your day, and approaching situations in a way where both of you can feel comfortable and understood.

Utmost respect

Respect needs to be present in any type of relationship, not just with your partner. One example of respect is when you have a certain type of religion or faith and your partner has another, you’ll notice that your partner is ultimately respectful of your individual beliefs and encourages you to follow your own path. If you can find a partner with your same faith—such as in my case—then that’s perfect! In that case, respect comes with both of you working together in your journey towards your goals as a couple and having patience while doing so.

Wants to learn more

This trait has always has to be present. If you want to find “The One,” that person has to want to learn more about you each and every day. There’s always something new to discover in the person that you’re with, plus it also keeps things interesting between a relationship. Sharing time together by going out, playing games, or just lazing around, you always notice something new about that person. Enjoy each other’s company and learn more together.

The gaze

The way your partner looks at you says a lot. Someone’s gaze can tell you so much of what they’re feeling. In this case, you’re looking for a sweet gaze, a concerned gaze, and a caring gaze not the gaze of overprotectiveness, but of someone who respects you and cares about your well-being.

Safety and trust

The feeling of knowing that you’re safe with someone, no matter what, is importantknowing that you can trust that person with any secret or any insecurity and they will always be there for you. The comfort in feeling like there’s no one you’d rather have next to you than your partner, and knowing the feeling is mutual, is incomparable.

There’s a lot that goes into knowing who’s going to be the person to accompany you for the rest of your life, but these are just some of the various traits to look for in “The One.” I’m in a long-distance relationship with my partner, and despite the distance, I know that the person who I’m with will always be “The One” in my eyes. Of course, this list doesn’t just apply to your partner. It applies to you too! That special someone you have in mind could be looking for “The One” as well. I hope my advice could help you in your love journey, and I truly wish you the best. Just remember to always cherish yourself and the ones around you.

Aimar B. Galarza is an undergraduate English Literature student in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus aspiring to become a future editor. She has a passion for anything to do with books, film, writing, music, and acting. She enjoys playing the piano and guitar and has also participated in various musicals as a dancer, singer, and actress, one of them being "Homeroom the Musical" which was presented in Ponce, Puerto Rico and later on presented in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Last but not least, she's also a voice actress on YouTube (AimyAngel) who's collaborated in fan dubs, audiobooks, and animated episodes.