This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

First step for reading this: remember that you’re not alone. Everyone has gone through this. You finish a book or a season and are excited to go straight to the next one, only to find out it’s not out yet, and it probably won’t be out for a year. So what now? What do you do with the void it left behind? You put all of your energy into something, and now you have nothing left? Well, I have just the solution for you! Here are five things to do while impatiently waiting for the next installment to come out:

Cry

No, seriously, I’m not joking, go cry! Because what else is there left to do? That last episode or chapter probably ended with a cliffhanger and now you’re gonna have to wait for answers that you need right now. And hey, it is better than throwing your book or control remote against the wall. Have a good cry session, nobody is going to shame you for it. Here, I’ll even cry with you. Another solution is staring at the ceiling like it’s its fault. That works too! Bonus points if a sad song that you associate with said book or TV series is playing in the background.

Read fanfics

Your browser will be your best friend for however long it takes for the next installment to come out. Search for all the fanfics and read everything you find! Archive of Our Own (AO3) is your life line now! Seriously, to all the fanfic writers out there? You are doing the gods’ work by filling the void for thousands of people! By reading fanfics you can imagine what will happen next or see how changing something can affect the story. It’s seriously the best thing to do while waiting. You can’t find a fic you like? Write it yourself! 

Make it everyone’s problem!

There is no reason to go through the pain alone! Tell everyone about it! If you have good friends, they will hear you out. But make it better and convince them to watch or read what you’re hooked on. That way you can both share the pain and wait together while inventing theories and talking about your favorite parts.

Watch or read another thing

Fill the void with other stuff! Go find another book or TV series that catches your interest. Try to choose one that is completed, though, so you don’t create another void. But if you do, there are always more series to watch and books to read! That’s the magic of it! So, go ahead and read/watch as many as you can until you no longer feel empty and sad! 

“Re-” (the magic prefix)

None of those helped you to fill the void? Don’t worry, the “re-” prefix is here for you! Reread and rewatch! While there is no new material, the old is always there for you. So go ahead and do the same that you did before. You will always find details that you missed. You don’t even want to know how many times I’ve rewatched the Tokyo arc in Haikyuu!! The point is, what is already there won’t go away, so use that!

Yes, waiting for books and seasons can be heartbreaking, but don’t let that stop you! A year passes by quicker than you think, and once it’s over, you will get your hands on that new content you crave. The wait is worth it when the content is good!

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.