This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We love local artists and supporting them. There is so much talent in this tiny island. Supporting local businesses is very important because it boosts the economy and helps artists get their name out there. I have gathered the best local Instagram stores from the ones I follow, and the ones I like the most so that you can take a look at our talented women—because it just so happens that they are all owned by fierce women.

flor.A

flor.A is an Instagram store that sells 100% organic cotton handbags. But they are not just handbags, these handbags come with a special design: they take different flowers that are native to Puerto Rico (flor de Maga, Flamboyán, etc) and paint them on the bag. They are all so beautiful, you will want them all! There are thousands of totes out there, but these are going to spice up your look and help you get in touch with your tropical side. They are all under the $20 range, and you can order via Instagram. The owner is very nice, and the ordering process is also incredibly easy! It’s all done through DM, so you feel a personal service. You can follow this small (for now) store on Instagram.

Go get your floral tote!

Columpio

Following the bag theme, Columpio is a brand owned by a nice and beautiful Puerto Rican girl. She handmakes totes and pouches with all kinds of designs: solid colors, stripes, floral, and any combination you can think of. She also makes different types of jewelry, especially earrings made with different fabrics. Her bags and pouches are beautiful and very well-made. You can order via Instagram and even make special orders. Now go buy a cute pouch because who doesn’t need one?

Había Una Vez

The woman that runs this store is an amazing artist, she watercolors all kind of designs. Her “thing” is that she has different characters that she paints, for example, Julia de Burgos, La Negrita, La Taína, and many more. She makes different types of things with these characters: stickers, bookmarks, and portraits. She also makes mugs, t-shirts, totes, paintings to hang on the wall, and pots for plants. Her latest endeavor is making personal family portraits that are the best gift! To make an order, you can DM her on Instagram, go to her Etsy shop, or go to Cidra where she has a workshop. She makes different types of activities in her workshop and participates in various festivals around the island. You can follow her on Instagram.

aleks.co

This starting-out shop is owned by a girl who makes earrings. But not just any earrings; she makes pom pom earrings! She handmakes every pair with lots of love. You have a variety of colors to choose from, so you can make whatever combo you wish! They come in size small, medium and large—the larger the better. The pom pom earrings will give your look some edginess and will make you stand out in a crowd! They are a very cute and fun accessory to have. You can follow her on Instagram and make an order via DM. Go get yo’ pom poms!

Púrpura

Finally, while we are on the accessory train, we have to talk about Púrpura. This is a line where every piece is made with paper. Yes, paper! The owner is so nice; I have seen her in person like three times, and she is the best. She handmakes every piece herself. She makes earrings, necklaces, rings, and pins. She prints, for example, the image of a sunflower, and she makes a ring out of it. The earrings come in medium and large sizes as well as the necklaces. She works different types of designs: aspects from Puerto Rican culture, oldies such as vintage cameras and boomboxes, plants, animals, planets, and literally anything you can think of. She makes every piece so beautifully and a lot of thought goes into each one.  She takes orders via Instagram, so slide into the DM’s and get a pair of striking  paper earrings.

Accessories make or break an outfit, so you have to own fierce ones. Make sure to follow these five accounts to get all types of authentic accessories handmade in Puerto Rico. These talented women are all so great and deserve to get out there, so support local shops!