5 Fun Traditions to Lift the Christmas Spirit During Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Have you ever heard the lyrics to the song “Triste Navidad”? 

Oh! qué triste Navidad

voy a pasar sin ti.

Solito está el hogar,

y tú lejos de mí.

Such a fitting song for 2020! For the English speaking crowd, the song basically describes how it’s a sad Christmas because we’re apart from, perhaps, our friends and family, which is relatable for all of us who are away from our families during lockdown. Everyone is in their houses staying safe from COVID-19 and most of the activities we used to do during this time of the year are now cancelled. No reason to get completely sad about this, though. There’s so much to do indoors; be it with someone else or alone!

Have a movie marathon

My personal favorite! It’s such a wholesome tradition to just sit back and watch Christmas classics. It pairs perfectly with some hot chocolate and Christmas snacks. Check on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and even Disney+ for tons of fun movies to watch.

Make coquito

Believe me when I tell you that you’ll have a blast! Even though it’s more exciting to make coquito with friends or family, it’s quite the adventure by yourself as well! And, obviously, you can enjoy a yummy beverage afterwards. Here’s my family’s recipe for coquito:

1 can of condensed milk

2 cans of evaporated milk

1 can of coconut milk

1 can of coconut cream 

1 cup of evenly mixed spices: cinnamon, star anise, and clove

Liquor/Ron (optional) 

Blend it all together and enjoy!

Play games

Playing board games is so much fun! People really are sleeping on them too much, plus it’s an excellent excuse to relax for a bit, focus on the game, and have some fun. If you’re alone, try doing a virtual game night, with games like Stop, virtual card games, or Among Us.

Plan a gift exchange (Secret Santa)

Put together a little Christmas gift exchange with your family or friends and, if you’re apart, try mailing each other gifts. Perhaps, try making some of the presents yourself. Search for local goods stores to support the local economy and small entrepreneurs. 

Decorate!

Decorate! It’s not Christmas without a tree! Bring the Christmas spirit to your home by putting out decorations while listening to hit Christmas classics. Put on some Christmas lights outside as well. That way, you’re not just motivating yourself, but anyone that passes by too. 

Christmas can be a hard time for many of us. Some of us have lost loved ones this year, and have experienced difficult times. It’s valid to be sad, but always remember that you’re not alone, and this will pass as well. These are some trying times but the last thing we should give up is our hope, so let’s hope for Christmas, let’s hope for a brighter future, and let’s hope for a brighter year. Lift up your Christmas spirit while you let all your emotions flow. Lots of love, and merry Christmas, everyone!

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.