This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Free time is generally something to look forward to, but we often don’t know what to do with it once we actually have it. The coming holidays are usually cold and if you enjoy playing video games while cuddled in bed, here are 5 Nintendo Switch games I recommend that will keep you company and warm you up. 

1. Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk is a very relaxing game. Like the name suggests, you take the role of a barista who owns a coffee shop in Seattle. While on your shift, you get to listen to your clients’ problems while offering them a warm drink made with the ingredients and recipes you have. This game depicts the life of humans with characters that are everything but normal human beings. The game features many types of creatures, such as elves, succubi, aliens, and werewolves, among other supernatural creatures who coexist with humans in a modern world. Coffee Talk has a 90s aesthetic, including pixel art and chill music, often associated with lo-fi. This game is very entertaining but also informative because you can actually try the recipes in the game. Hold on to your seats though, because there’s a plot twist at the end! Also, take care of your decisions in the game because one small action can change the whole story.

1. Wytchwood

You’ll love this game if you enjoy some adventure and building while following a story. This game is kind of investigative, and it always keeps you wanting more of the story, right up until you finish the game. You start the game as the typical witch living in the woods, but everything becomes complicated when you forget your grimoire and all the spells in it. You encounter a black goat who tells you that he will help you regain your grimoire because he ate it, but in exchange you will have to bring him 12 souls. Sounds kinda dark, but it’s really fun! From there, you depart on an adventure full of magic and fantastic stories. 

1. Stardew Valley

If you like Animal Crossing, you MUST play Stardew Valley. Though it is much more complex because there’s no guidance  in the game, you won’t be able to stop playing once you get the hang of it. You arrive at a farm that your grandpa left for you in the city of Stardew Valley and it is now your responsibility to grow healthy crops, take care of chickens so they can lay eggs, and collect milk from the cows. In this game, you must build a relationship with your neighbors, you can complete missions, and you can even go to the mines to look for minerals to build things. It’s very entertaining. 

1. Little Misfortune 

This is an adventure game that has an interactive story where your choices affect the future in the game. The tale starts when Misfortune is told that she’s going to die today and the game develops into looking for eternal happiness for her mom. This game in particular is a favorite because the protagonist is Latina. The game also shows a real life problem, portraying child kidnapping as a parasite that makes kids disappear. The game is super interesting, but be warned: keep a box of tissues nearby, because you’ll cry!

1. Pokemon Scarlet or Violet

Everyone loves Pokemon, either because they grew up with it and continued to enjoy Pokemon games and lore throughout the years or because of childhood nostalgia. The new generation launched in November with a new story developed in Spain. Now, this game is a little different from the past ones because you get the legendary Pokemon from the start and it accompanies you from beginning to end. The game is also open world, meaning that there is no right or wrong order. You can start with the gym of your preference or catch any Pokemon you see. The customization of characters comes with a lot of new features to be inclusive, which is amazing. Overall, this game is perfect for spending the holidays playing while drinking a cup of hot cocoa!

Astrid Carolina is a grad school student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She has a Bachelors Degree in Modern Languages and is currently doing her Masters in Translation. When she's not stressing out over doing her thesis, you can probably find her playing videogames or being crafty. Astrid is out there encouraging people to be themselves without fear!