This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You’ve seen every Studio Ghibli film, and you want more. If you’re looking for something new, you’ve come to the right place! From romance to comedy, thrill, and even an ocean of tears, you’ll surely find one that will pique your interest here!

Your Name

This 2016 film is the story of two teens that, by some divine intervention, find themselves switching bodies every other day. As this goes on, they both decide to meet each other, only to find out that their connection is even more complicated than what it actually looks like. Directed by Makoto Shinkai, Your Name is a total visual experience, in which love and friendship transcend any barrier. Without any spoilers, this movie is a total must-watch. 

Where to watch: Amazon Prime.

A Silent Voice

Directed by Naoko Yamada and created by the amazing people in Kyoto Animation, A Silent Voice is a story of triumph. Adapted from the manga, the story follows Shoya Ishida, an outcast with immense social anxiety at the end of his rope, who decides to find the girl he used to bully, Shoko Nishimiya, to apologize one last time. However, they become friends instead, and together they try to deal with their own personal hardships. This movie is for my crybabies out there. If you want to know more, check Angelica’s article!

Where to watch: Netflix

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop

This quirky film is a light-hearted story about a shy boy named Cherry and a bubbly girl named Smile. Cherry is obsessed with the art of haiku, while Smile is a known influencer. After a classic phone switch, these opposites attract. To be honest, not much happens plot-wise, but the charm of this movie truly lies in the characters. It’s a classic story of how one summer can change it all, and how sometimes you just have to focus on what’s right in front of you. 

Where to watch: Netflix

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl 

You know how so many things can happen during one night out in the town? Well, this movie is that, but multiplied. Directed by one of my favorite creators, Masaaki Yuasa, The Night is Short, Walk on Girl follows the silly shenanigans of The Girl with Black Hair during her night out. Meanwhile, her admirer follows her around in hopes that she’ll finally give him the time of day. This film is so chaotic, but that’s precisely what makes it so much fun: whenever you think things can’t get any crazier, the movie quite literally shows you the unimaginable, and the film’s animation really accentuates that. 

Where to watch: Streaming on HBO Max

Perfect Blue

Considered one of the late Satoshi Kon’s best works, Perfect Blue is a psychological thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Mima Kirigoe is a part of the idol group known as CHAM!; however, she desires to leave that pop-idol image to become an actress. During the filming of her first role, the line between her real self and her former pop-idol image begins to blur. Then there’s the increasing worry of her being stalked, and the mysterious “Mima’s Room.” What is real and what is fake? Not even Mima knows, which is why Perfect Blue is a must-watch.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

Hopefully, you will enjoy one of these! If you do, please let me know.

A sour patch kid raised in the small town of Villalba, Puerto Rico (she'll argue that she's from Ponce though). She's a total geek who takes everything one fandom at a time. Her major is Creative Writing.