This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Organizing bookshelves is fun― in my opinion, they always end up being the most interesting and colorful part of the room. They’re aesthetically pleasing and interesting to look at, and you can decorate them however you want and give them your personal touch. But, how do you organize all your books? Is there a right way to do it? The answer is simple: there are no right, or wrong, ways to do it. The aesthetic appeal of a bookshelf is entirely up to you! Here are a few ideas that’ll hopefully inspire you to pick the system that works best for you:

By color 

Organizing by color is a nice way to go. You want to get that colorful vibe? Go for it. Take all your books from the same color and put them together, making the colors transition in a consistent way. You can either go from dark to light or vice versa. Follow the color scheme you like best and get that rainbow bookshelf you’ve always dreamed of. 

By favorites 

It’s your bookshelf, so it would make sense to customize it in a way that reflects your own tastes and preferences. Rank your books from favorite to least favorite. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t make sense to others because it’s all yours― completely personalized. It also helps to keep your favorite books within an accessible reach.

By authors 

Organizing your collection according to authors can help you keep track of the books you have. You can have all the content of each specific author together, so every time they publish new installments, you can just add it to the pile. When organizing authors, you can sort by alphabetical order, favorites, or genre. It’s all about your personal preference.

By genre

Create a fabulous transition from fantasy to mystery. You can separate your books by their different genres and begin to accommodate them accordingly. In this way, you can go directly to whichever genre section you feel like reading, and pick up your book of choice! Here’s a useful tip: the books in that gray area that belong to more than one genre can serve as transition books between more specific groups.

If you’re still missing some inspo, you could always scroll through IG and find the bookshelf you want to emulate the most! Now that you’re done organizing it, give it some final touches! Add some figurines, fairy lights, pictures, or plants, and there you go: the perfect bookshelf! Which organizing method is your favorite? 

Alana is currently in her fifth year, studying Comparative Literature in the UPR Río Piedras Campus. She loves books, superheroes and mythology. Will sing any song that she knows (even if she can't sing to save her life) and is always tired. She dreams with someday writing a book.