This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Friendship is a wonderful aspect of life; it requires time to grow where you deepen your connection with your friends. This year, Galentine’s Day is going to look a little different from previous years. However, that doesn’t mean that we can’t celebrate our friendships. We can still have virtual meetups with our gals and enjoy great movies using online services like Teleparty. That way, you can still have loads of fun and celebrate while complying with social distancing measures. Here are four iconic movies you can watch with your gal pals. 

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)

Best friends Lena, Tibby, Carmen, and Bridget have known each other since they were babies, and for the first time in their lives, they are faced with what in their minds is a horrible thing: a whole summer apart. While shopping, they find a pair of “magic” pants that somehow fit into each one of their body types. They decide to share and send the jeans to each other for the entire time they’re apart, as a reminder of their friendship.

Mamma Mia! (2008) and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

This ABBA-inspired musical is one of my all-time favorites. You might think that Mamma Mia! is about romantic love, and, in many ways it is, but more than that, it’s also about a wholehearted friendship. It’s Donna’s friends, Tanya and Rosie, that encourage Donna to rise up amidst the shock of her involvement with the three men that could all well be her daughter’s father, something she thought long gone in the past. And in Mama Mia! Here We Go Again, while all of the hardships of pregnancy and life were hitting Donna back in her youth, who was there all the way? Tanya and Rosie. Who doesn’t want a friendship like theirs?

Clueless (1995)

This 90s classic is a feminist friendship movie, even if at first glance it might not look like it. Best friends Cher and Dionne are the popular girls at their school, and when new girl Tai arrives, they see her as a personal project. They set their minds to befriend Tai and teach her the ways of being popular by changing her clothes, hair, and even the way she talks. While giving her a total makeover, once they really get to bond with Tai, they learn to accept her and love her for who she is. This is where feminism comes in, the movie is about friendship and empowerment; all three friends lead different sexual lives, yet none of them feels the need to slut-shame or pressure one another to change. The movie also presents the idea that you can like heels and clothes and still be a feminist, because caring about appearances shouldn’t be disempowering. 

Booksmart (2019)

Booksmart is much more realistic or at least relatable, than most movies. The movie’s plot revolves around a normal friendship: friends that talk about everything—even the embarrassing stuff—not friendships based on stereotypical high school cliques. This movie presents a pair of friends who were always together and now are suddenly finding themselves treading different paths. This split leads best friends Amy and Molly to go on an adventure by attending their first and only high school party. The night is filled with fun, embarrassment, and heartbreak, while revealing the true meaning of female friendship. 

Even if you can’t enjoy the things you normally would do with your friends, and no matter how near or far you are from each other, don’t let COVID-19 stop you from creating more cherished moments. Hope you enjoy watching these movies on Galentine’s Day!

Angélica is a Comparative Literature in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. She's a wannabe writer that can be found cuddled up in her bed reading a book. Her biggest obsession is Harry Potter and anything to do with it. She has a lot of dreams for her future and hopes to work in a publishing house someday.