Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
Wellness

4 Confidence Secrets We Can Learn From Pop Culture It Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You know who they are. The queen bees, the hall-attention grabbers, the teen-fashion icons: the it girls. And if there’s something that all it girls have is confidence. However, confidence is a broad spectrum that can be manifested even in the slightest of ways, and that’s the beauty of it. Confidence can be expressed in small gestures and attitudes that have a huge impact on how the person is perceived. What better representation of confidence than some of our iconic and beloved-it girls from pop culture? Here are four major inspos that you can take from the following baddies: 

1. Maddy Perez 

This iconic it girl from the HBO hit series Euphoria is all about being confident. And the first thing that we notice about Maddy is the way she handles herself when she walks into a room. She takes her time to walk and talk. There is no rushing or worrying about other people’s reactions. Maddy teaches us that everyone feels stupid when they first feel confident, until they decide to just not feel that way. She’s so sure about herself to a point that might be overwhelming and intimidating to others, but who cares? Own your presence by holding your head up high, taking your time and owning your voice without fear of someone cutting you off. 

1. Regina George 

Okay, I know this character may be a bit controversial, but hear me out: Regina George from Mean Girls is confident AF! Yes, she’s mean, but the  peak of her confidence can be clearly appreciated in the scene where Janis Ian cuts two holes in Regina’s shirt while she’s at gym class. As soon as she returns, puts it on and notices the holes, she simply looks at it, shrugs, and catwalks away from the bathroom. And what happens next? The next day, every girl in school wore two holes in their shirts, exactly like her. What this scene teaches us is that it doesn’t matter what you wear as long as you wear it with confidence, you will own it, even if it “looks stupid”. And so, the lesson is: You can’t control what comes at you, but you can control how you react to it, and when in doubt, react confidently. 

1. Cher Horowitz

Cher from Clueless teaches us a very valuable lesson about confidence. When you work on, respect, and value yourself you’ll ultimately feel surer about yourself, which in turn increases confidence. Cher dedicates time to herself and surrounds herself with positive people. She knows that having friends that uplift you and inspire you also contribute a lot to your confidence. You become more like the people you surround yourself with. So, confidence 101: practice self-care and surround yourself with positive people. 

1. Elle Woods 

We can all agree that Elle Woods from Legally Blonde is a queen, and if there’s one thing that we can learn about from her  majesty is that: do not allow people to dim your light. Sadly, there are people whose idea of a good time is picking on others and pointing out characteristics that they deem as insecurities and flaws. In the case of Elle, other law students thought that she was dumb and “too much of a girl” to be in Harvard Law School. And what did she do? Prove them all wrong. She graduated top of her class without having to shy away from who she is, and yes, that included a lot of pink. Elle is confident because she’s never afraid to be herself in spite of what other people may think because she knows that their words do not matter. So, let’s all be like Elle, shall we? 

And there you have it, 4 big confidence secrets from our favorite TV shows and movie it girls. Remember, confidence is all about taking your time, owning what you wear, making time for yourself, surrounding yourself with positive influences; and no matter what, not letting others bring you down. Let these ladies inspire you and contribute to your confidence and just go out there and slay. 

Claudia S. Colon Rosa is the Chapter Leader at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. In addition to overseeing all chapter affairs, she manages the magazine’s editorial and contributes to it as a fellow writer, mainly crafting articles under wellness, life, and entertainment. Beyond Her Campus, Claudia has worked as assistant editor for the English department’s academic journal, Sargasso, where she managed the journal’s printing press and distribution. She has also written for Rebeldia magazine and was part of the Her Campus National Writer program where she published an array of articles. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in English Literature and pre-medical studies. When she’s not writing an essay or overwhelmed with chemistry formulas, Claudia loves to watch anime and exercise to dance parties on YouTube. She gets the best of both worlds and she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.