This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I have been Love Island UK’s biggest (American) stan for the last year or so, and I’m here to convince you that it is one of the best reality shows on TV right now. 

I have been watching Love Island since the fall of 2018 when me and my best friend randomly stumbled upon it on Hulu, and my life has been changed forever. To preface this bold statement, I would like to say that I am obsessed with reality television of all sorts. My favorite shows are as follows: The Bachelor, Are You The One?, Big Brother, The Challenge, Ex On The Beach, and the list goes on. 

You may notice that many of those reality TV shows are ones that involve romance, and that is because reality shows that involve love are my favorite ones to watch. Hence my obsession with Love Island.

Love Island is reality show that is based in the United Kingdom (there is a U.S. version, but it is not good).

The first five single women move into a gorgeous villa in Spain, and one by one single boys come into the villa. The women step forward for the men that they like, or fancy (a cute UK slang term for like). This goes on until everyone is coupled up. When they are coupled in the villa, they are required to sleep in the same bed as the person they are coupled up with. 

Here’s the kicker: as the season progresses, the show introduces both new women and men into the villa and allow them to go on dates with people who are already coupled up. At the end of most weeks, there is a recoupling ceremony that allows people who are unhappy in their couple to couple with someone new!! People are constantly leaving and entering the villa. 

So much can happen on this show, but you will never miss a beat because the show airs every day of the week with the exception of Saturdays. SIX episodes every single week for a month and a half. There are many opportunities for the audience to vote (only people who live in the UK) couples or single people out. 

At the end of each season, the public votes for their favorite couple out of the last four couples standing, and that couple wins £50,000. However, there is another twist. The host hands each member of the couple an envelope: one with nothing, and one with £50,000. Whichever person that gets the envelope with the money decides if they want to split the money with the other or keep it all to themselves.

If that was not enough to get to watch it, just watch it for the accents because it is so fun to try to keep up with how fast they talk or admire how posh their accents are. 

Love Island is such an intense romance reality tv show, and you should start watching it immediately. The show comes on every summer starting in June. The show just finished its first ever winter season, and I will say it was so juicy. 

Since we are not in the United Kingdom, the only way to watch the series in full is on Hulu!

I'm a junior at the University of North Texas. My interests range from reading to astrology to bullet journaling. When I'm not at school or at work, I'm trying new foods or online shopping!
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.