This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I’d heard of Fleabag the same way a lot of people had– through the buzz on Twitter and the many awards that creator and star, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, won this past awards season. With only two series and many fan itching for more, Waller-Bridge said that she’s done with this show. That hurts my feelings considering how series two ended. Fleabag is what I’d call a tragic comedy; we’re watching her life fall to pieces in so many ways but having a great time doing it.

The first series focused on Fleabag’s depression after the death of her best friend, Boo,, as well as dealing with the breakdown of her familial ties with her father and sister. Fleabag breaks the fourth wall constantly which is the biggest appeal of the show, watching her turn to the side to make faces at you while in the middle of a crisis sells the comedy aspect of the show. With great acting, the ending of the first series rips your heart out while simultaneously giving you hope for the titular character. A great success of a show but hadn’t completely overtaken the masses. Enter, series two and the hot priest.

Now, I’m a cynical Catholic, which means that I have a healthy dose of Catholic guilt over the fact that I can and will drag the Church as necessary to my peace of mind. So seeing Andrew Scott as a “cool priest” while betraying his faith for Fleabag, well I should’ve felt bad for how much I liked it. The relationship between Fleabag and the Hot Priest was the driving madness behind the rise of the show’s popularity. The forbidden relationship between the two characters that started in lust but ended with heartbreaking love was brilliant writing. The push and pull of the whole storyline and her inevitable realization that she loves him but he loves God more truly made me shed many tears.

The mass popularity of the show is what drove me to watch it and I have not regretted a single moment. All I regret is that fact that there won’t be more for me to enjoy. Everyone needs to watch this show ASAP and then cry to me about it. Check it out on Amazon Prime Video!

Alejandra Balbuena is a first-generation UNT senior majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Spanish and Social Sciences. She loves reading, dancing, and watching Law and Order: SVU reruns. She is one of the campus correspondents for the Her Campus UNT chapter. She also serves as co-president and co-editor in chief!
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.