Everyone has periods of their life where they experience all kinds of bad emotions; anger, sadness, anxiety. It can difficult to distinguish the line between a normal bout of emotions, and something more dangerous. Here are some signs for when you should seek professional help or support. Keep in mind, if this only persists for a week or so, it may not require professional help. If it lasts more than a month, it can have serious consequences. You sleep too much, or too little. The proper amount of sleep is important for healthy brain activity.

1. Getting too much or too little sleep, and the resulting exhaustion, can be a sign that your brain is crying out for help.
  2. You eat too much, or too little. This also goes for gaining or losing weight as a consequence. This can be a sign of a more serious condition.
  3. An excessive amount of angry outbursts. While it’s okay to snap every now and then, feeling constantly frustrated and angry isn’t a good sign.
  4. Loss of interest in things you enjoy. When things that used to make you happy or bring you joy don’t make you feel anything, that’s a definite sign something is changing.
  5. Most importantly, thoughts of self-harm or suicide. If you’re having thoughts of harming yourself, please speak to someone immediately.

These are just some of the most common symptoms. For a good list of symptoms of depression and anxiety, please click on this link: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers…

Remember, you’re not alone.

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order.