This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Going into college is a massive milestone and life-changer for everybody, though we may not realize how much until we go through it ourselves. No matter what anybody says, everyone has a completely different experience and perspective of college itself.

I had been excited for college the second orientation had begun, and made many of my friends I still am close with today in those 3 days. Being very social, I had already grown a little more distant from my roommates, who wanted us to be more of a clique. Even in high school, I was friends with various groups, and have emulated that in college. I personally think that remaining open-minded and friendly is how one gets to know the campus, as I love getting to know as many people as I can, making connections, and maintaining the close relationships I already had. One never knows where they will we meet someone who will change their life, or the other way around. Roommates are a tough situation in general. It was hard to find the balance between getting walked all over by saying nothing, and saying too much too late in tense situations. At the end of the day, we all learn that life is focused on the reality we are in, and not about our daily thoughts and emotions. College drama and experiences have taught me that there is no point in getting worked up over little things and that some people never change, and others surprise you for the better. I have grown emotionally, realizing how mature and even more individualistic I have become.

Growing up fairly sheltered and wealthy, I never realized the struggle it is for so many people to even get through college. I came in freshman year more naive, and though I had good intentions, it came off as more privileged than anything. Now that I am almost halfway through my second year, my empathy has enlarged in leaps and bounds, and I no longer assume or judge anything about anyone. College exposes us to the most diverse variety of people we will ever encounter and learn with. Going in with no expectations and a go-with-the-flow attitude is best, as we are responsible for most aspects of our life all of a sudden. Remaining chill and mindful helps me just glide through everything that comes my way, no matter how inherently stressful it is supposed to be.

Last year in the dorms was rough. I lost my health regimen, did not exercise, never slept, drank too much, either stayed on top of my classes or skipped too much. This year, I do my yoga and meditation every day, cook in my apartment as much as possible, bring food from home to save on groceries, and only party if I really feel like it, which is rare compared to earlier. I can sense that I am becoming my own adult person and, with progress, can hopefully reach the version of myself I strive to be.Surrounding myself with positive and like-minded people this summer really shifted my views and helped me get out of the lazy rut freshman year me was stuck in. I never came home last year, except for breaks. This year, I have my new car and get to see family so much more often. I have a closer relationship with my family, am forging better friendships with people I have known for some time, and am so much healthier inside-out. I have toned my body so much, just with eating healthy like I do at home and my yoga. My confidence began rising last year, and this year, I feel a new surge of self-love and even more confidence in myself in all aspects. I am starting to actively reach beyond my potential, and trying to stop half-assing everything simply because I still get good enough results.

My impulsiveness has only tripled. I dyed my hair twice, recently cut basically all my hair off, and am loving the new look and feel much more free. I am excited for the new tattoos and piercings in my future, and hope to do study abroad this year as well. College opens up so many new doors and allows you to try everything you could possibly want to…if you are open to it. :)

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.