#UNTMLKMarch By Our Very Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Cover photo credit: Kenyah Abdul Aleem UNT’s Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. brought in the new semester with a far cry from the divisions of our current state, by putting on their annual Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Day March. This march signifies the importance of commemorating the legacy of Dr. King while celebrating the outcome of the tremendous sacrifices he and other civil rights leaders made to change America. 

Original Shots by: Kenyah Abdul Aleem

Historically speaking, Martin Luther King Jr. joined the Sigma Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity in 1952 as a graduate during his Boston University days. This would be just a few short years before he would become the legendary icon we came to learn about and memorialize today. UNT’s very own Alpha’s host this march with collaborations alongside the Denton MLK Recreational Center, Denton PD, and much of the Denton community to showcase a service program for its students and citizens.

This march starts off on the campus of UNT, and leads through the middle of downtown Denton, to reach the MLK Center. Escorts by the Denton police ensures the safety of the marchers. Many different faces, races, and ages came together to walk side by side in demonstrating just how Dr. King’s dream was manifested.

During the walk, many Denton locals cheered on those marching, to show support, while some even joined in on the long line constantly moving forward. In hindsight this gives the very essence of peace and love for all. Reaching the destination of the center, those who marched, have a chance to sit down in its gymnasium, and enjoy an evening of talented school children, Denton officials talking about the future of the city, gospel songs, and of course a presentation from our UNT Alpha’s. They hosted a dinner after the program, and helped asset students and others back to campus when it was all said and done. As we march on into the new year, most of us with uncertainty, let us remember the wise words Dr. King once spoke,  

“Faith is taking the first step, even when you can’t see the whole staircase.” 

Senior at The University of North Texas. I made Black UNT my news beat, and haven't been able to sleep since. Love covering all things melanated Mean Green.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.