This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The University of North Texas’ transportation services began a new program with Lyft on August 17th. UNT has partnered with Lyft to provide free rides to all students who are over the age of 18 with a valid UNT identification card.

This program offers free rides from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. every day for all students within the coverage area. The coverage area includes places on campus, down Fry Street, some areas down Eagle Drive, and West Hickory Street. The students can use this resource when the UNT’s evening bus, “Nightrider”, stops running at 2 a.m.

Trista Moxley, senior communication specialist, said that this project was brought about as part of their current partnership with DCTA.

“It was a connection that they had been working to build, and it fit very well as an option for their UNT contract as we move forward,” Moxley said.

DCTA’s communications manager, Adrienne Hamilton, has been credited as being a great resource during this process.

“We are always working with UNT to provide more useful and safe options for students when it comes to transportation. UNT students should expect more services like this in the future from us under our contract,” Hamilton said.

This project is being funded through the university’s transportation fee. The program is in its beginning phases and the use will be monitored to be sure that the funds are being properly used.

“Right now, it’s in the beginning phases. As the program continues, we’ll monitor how well it’s received and make future decisions based on the student use data since our intent is to ensure we are providing them with the best service.” Moxley said.

The university says that this resource can be a safe and reliable way for students to be able to get around campus and surrounding areas without worrying about transportation.

“I’m usually coming to the union late trying to get something to eat. You know when i’m studying on those long nights so the bus stops running at 2 a.m. and sometimes those study sessions do run longer, so it is beneficial to go out and go get something to eat or maybe something real late at night at a CVS or somewhere, so yes, I think it’s very beneficial,” John Cooper, freshman student, said.

The partnership has already began fulfilling its purpose. Zyruz Zamaya, freshman, lives across the highway at Victory Hall by Apogee Stadium. He was hungry and needed to get to the Union to get something to eat with his girlfriend. It was late and neither of them had a car so they only had two options: stay in and not eat or call a lyft. They decided to go with the latter option.

“I just got it today and I had to deal with it. I tried to download the app and get it done and it actually helped me out a lot whenever I needed it when me and my girlfriend was stranded”, Zamaya said.

The university offers the students 120 free one way rides per semester. Students can redeem this offer by downloading the Lyft app and inserting the promotional code UNTRIDEFALL18. This promotional code will be valid from August 17th until December 15th.

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.