sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The UNT Girl’s Guide for the Perfect Valentine’s Day in Denton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

In the event you forgot it was Valentines Day yesterday, it’s very easy to make up for it with these options of creating the “perfect” holiday in Denton. With so many options still available last minute, don’t sweat the small stuff. This list will give exactly what you need for the best Valentines Day in this crazy town.

Buy an outfit from Golden Triangle Mall (that you can return the next day)

Forget about getting anything pink or red from HM or Charlotte Russe (Since, those are the only stores most populated). Nudes are in season, so that’s an option, but with any outfit you buy, be sure to keep the tag on it with the receipt saved somewhere. Tuck it in when you go out and BAM! You’re one hot date balling on a budget. Cause let’s be honest; you’ll probably buy an outfit you’d never otherwise wear to impress a guy you’d never otherwise date cause you chose him last minute out of desperation since you’ve been feeling insecure about being unloved… Oh, that’s just me? N – E – WAYS

The Standard Gift Bag for Valentines Day

Here’s how the perfect standard gift bag goes: A small Valentines Day themed bag, with accented tissue paper that sticks out. You have to have a card, candy, one actual good gift that’s not too expensive but still good, and a fake flower for good measure (Because who really has time to take care of real flowers in college). Throw in a small stuffed animal and BAM! They think you actually care. Forget about Walmart or even CVS. Walk your butt over to the Dollar General past Kerr. You can get their actual good gift from somewhere nice, but for half the price, Dollar General is your best friend.

UNT Tuba Valentines

Okay, this one’s actually cute. Did you know UNT music students who play the tuba can show up to any location in Denton and perform two songs for you? UNT Tuba Valentines do this every year for students and local residents alike. Lowkey, slip this idea to your date to execute so you can have a lit snapchat story. The best thing about it is for two songs on location, a personalized card and a chocolate rose, It’s only $30-$35. Check them out with details every year on their Facebook page: UNT TUBA VALENTINES.

Go to restaurants where you can lie about it being your birthday for free stuff

You were born on Valentines Day? That’s awesome!” You’ll get this from probably more than one person so just roll your eyes and smile with a, “I know right.” Next thing you know, dessert is free. Don’t go to Texas Road House though, because they’ll put you on that basic saddle screaming out to the whole restaurant, and 9 times out of 10 other people you may know will be there too. Then you gone end up on Snapchat being called out. So unless you don’t care girl, it’s your birthday and you can lie if you want to.

Places to go after

The whole point is to have a great night with a great (for now) guy. The lights on the Square are beautiful to walk around. Forget the sidewalk cause it’ll be too crowded. Find the guy who does free caricatures at Discovery Denton, and get a couple’s portrait. Sit in the car and have a fake woke conversation after dinner about why culture vultures are so problematic to minorities. Even go back home and watch an unromantic movie to wash away the gushy day.

Whatever you decide to do, remember to have fun and save them coins, chile. Denton is a fun place to celebrate this overrated holiday on chill mode. Especially if you actually love Valentines Day and just want to act tough about it. Note: this article is based in humor. If you decide to return clothes you’ve already worn or lie about your birthday, please do it at your own discretion. 

Senior at The University of North Texas. I made Black UNT my news beat, and haven't been able to sleep since. Love covering all things melanated Mean Green.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.