freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on How to Keep a Serious Relationship Interesting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Sometimes we wonder, how do married couples stay together for so long? Sometimes it’s hard to believe that love alone can keep two people together “till death do [them] part.”

As college students, sometimes we don’t realize that marriage can be right around the corner; however, the real question is: “How can I be with someone for that long?” For now, let’s put marriage aside, and just focus on serious relationships in general. Sometimes, whether you are with a person for six months, a year, or five plus years, there are times where you feel like there is no longer a spark, and this is mainly why people tend to break up. However, there are ways to keep a serious relationship healthy, interesting, and exciting.

1. Go on Dates

A date doesn’t have to be defined with roses, uncomfortable shoes, or expensive food. Dates can range from the comfort of your living room to just about anything. The key purpose of a “date” is to spend quality time with your significant other, and just live in the moment. 

2. Try Something New

Sometimes, going through the motions of life can be dry and boring. Spice it up a bit! Try to think outside the box and push your comfort levels. There are many things to do around the Dallas area, so go out and try something new that neither you nor your significant other has done. Some examples could be a pottery class, indoor skydiving, berry picking, or even trying out new foods together. If you want to, you could even make it a date, or a group date! 

3. Go on a Road Trip

An exciting way to keep a serious relationship interesting is to go on a road trip! I don’t know what wizardry is behind this, but it works. There’s just something about being in a car, or a plane, with your significant other and just experiencing the world with each other. The road trip doesn’t have to be planned, or extravagant. Sometimes, all you need is to just get in the car and drive. This will keep the destination a surprise for the both of you, and who knows, you may find a new favorite spot that’s just yours. 

4. Surprise Them

You don’t just have to wait for the holidays, birthdays, or anniversaries to surprise your significant other. There doesn’t have to be a specific day, or reason for you to show the person you love how much you appreciate them and care for them. Sometimes just showing them “just because” is enough to bring some excitement into the relationship. It doesn’t even have to be a big gesture to really sweep them off their feet – it could be just as simple as a hand written letter telling the other why they are so special to you. 

Overall, being in a serious relationship is no walk in the park, and it requires effort from both parties. But, once the two of you are in sync, all that’s left is to just keep the momentum going. Life sometimes puts us in a monotonous daily routine, and this may put a strain on your relationship. Times like this call for spontaneity and excitement to forget about your daily troubles, allow yourself to live in the moment, and create memories with your significant other.

I am a senior at the University of North Texas: majoring in biology with a double minor in chemistry and psychology. I am the current treasurer for Her Campus UNT, and I aspire to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy. Outside of my responsibilities, I like to play volleyball and engage in creative activities.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.