women wearing cozy earth tone clothese?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
women wearing cozy earth tone clothese?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration for Her Campus Media
Style

TikTok Inspires Latest Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

With the recent rise of TikTok, Y2K, or early 2000s, the mid-2000s, and 90s fashion has made an appearance in 2020. College students all around campus have been sporting mean girls inspired miniskirts, crop tops, low rise jeans, and white chunky sneakers. Those are just a few clothing items that have been circulating around within this fashion trend.  

These 15 to 60-second videos are all posted under the hashtags y2k fashion or y2k aesthetic. These TikTok’s also contain popular themes such as outfit inspiration, outfit hacks, and even dancing videos that have caused a high demand in these 2000s and 90s inspired clothing pieces. A trend on the app that has also become popularized by the Y2K fad is hair dye. Students on campus can be seen with chunks of hair dyed blonde, pink, and even green! 

Celebrities such as Beyoncé, Aaliyah, Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears have been the biggest inspiration for this trend. Their red carpet and streetwear looks have been flooding Pinterest boards and Tumblr feeds everywhere. TikTok users have been very creative in recreating and recycling outfits inspired by social media influencers and celebrities.  

Local thrift stores and small business boutiques are the main sources of where these Y2K influenced outfits come from. Fast fashion stores such as Delia’s, Forever 21, and Shein have also played a part in keeping up with this trend. 

As this Y2K fad increases popularity, more and more college students are participating. Students are finding their own style within this trend and dressing these different 90s and Y2K styles up and down. Just like other TikTok trends, sadly this one will soon be traded out for something else. But the next generation and the generation after that will hopefully bring it back and fall in love with it just as much as generations in the past did. 

Harmony Thomas is a sophomore at the University of North Texas. She is a Digital and Print Journalism major with a minor in merchandising. She loves to blog and write about fashion, music, and movies! When she is not writing you can catch her dancing to the latest Megan Thee Stallion song or shopping for the latest trends.