This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Thrifting can be a fun way to find some cool and cute pieces for your closet. Going to your local thrift shop like Goodwill, Salvation Army, Plato’s Closet, etc can provide for a fun girls trip while being eco-friendly by purchasing second-hand clothing. If you’re looking to spice up your thrifting experience, the Goodwill Outlet should be your next endeavor! Far from the ordinary thrift shop, the Goodwill Outlet provides you the opportunity to get great pieces for extremely cheap. Yes, this is even cheaper than most of your average thrift stores!

Upon arrival to your local Goodwill Outlet, you are able to grab a cart to collect all your treasures and finds into. There are bins upon bins upon literally more bins. The bins are lined up in rows with signs above indicating what is inside the bins and are changed out between every thirty minutes to an hour. They will line you up after a whole row of bins are exchanged and then will countdown for you to go scavenge the bins You may want to bring your own bag because during those first few minutes of a madhouse, they don’t allow you to bring your cart down the aisle. As well you will see some people wearing gloves, which isn’t always necessary, but the bins may still have random shards of glass and broken items even if it is supposed to be the clothing bins you are looking through.

From my experience, it doesn’t necessarily matter if you are there to look through the bins from the time the countdown ends or twenty minutes later. However, it is always a good idea to be safe because if you are looking to resell some of the pieces you find or just looking for something unique you will want to be amongst the people pushing and shoving to try to see what you will find. I, myself, have had more success finding things I want to wear than actually reselling at consignment shops just because the stores typically have specific inventory they are looking for. However, if you have the time and space to do resell online you can potentially make some extra cash from the fun trip.

I always suggest at the end of digging right before you bring your items to the register, to look through and check for stains, wear, tears, and anything that would deter you from purchasing these items. I for one do this even at retail stores in the mall where the clothes are brand new, because makeup stains and holes can arise even from just one person trying the item on. Once finished, you will bring your items to the register where they will weigh your items because their prices are by the pound! This means you can get quite a few items for really cheap, saving you money and keeping these clothes from going to landfills! Think of the environmental effects you are preventing by this adventure!

In the end, if you don’t mind getting your hands a bit dirty to find some great pieces, a Goodwill Outlet is a must for thrifting fanatics!

Hello! I am a current UNT student studying to get my major in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. My involvement in Her Campus was a result of my alignment with women's empowerment and my love for connecting with others. Besides spending majority of my time as a college student or working, I love to watch Marvel movies, paint, visit new places, and eat mac and cheese!