Style

Thrift Shopping for Dummies: A Five Tip Crash Course on all Things Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Remember when buying clothes from a thrift store was considered embarrassing… yeah, me neither! The biggest trend for a few years now has been thrift shopping. Long gone are the days where people are embarrassed and won’t admit to buying clothes from the thrift store. In fact, it’s just the opposite; you are considered the ultimate fashionista if someone asks you where you got something and you say a thrift store. Here is my guide to being a baddie on a budget: thrift store edition, and may the thrift shop odds be ever in your favor.

Tip #1

Don’t just go whenever! Select thrift stores have college nights where EVERYTHING in the store will be a certain percentage off, sometimes it’s as much as 50% off. Most thrift stores also keep a calendar specifying all their sales for the month, more importantly when they restock, so make sure to grab one. I always say if it’s not in your phone it doesn’t exist, so add the really big sales like “all winter apparel 99 cents” (yes, that actually happened) in your phone so you don’t forget them. It’s also important to stay connected, some thrift stores have an email list you can sign up for, and social media accounts you can follow for even more deals, discounts, and inspiration.

Tip #2

Thrift shopping is not an activity, it’s an event, make sure you have the whole day cleared, odds are you’ll need it. Also, make sure you don’t leave the house without the following: your student ID, dressing for the occasion, and best friends. Thrift shopping can be long and tedious but going with your friends will make it a fun and crazy adventure. You could be a second pair of eyes for each other and pick up things you think the others would like and have little competitions to see who found something brand name, or even better, designer, or who got the most clothes for the least amount of money. Also, most thrift stores offer student discounts. The one good thing that College has done for us is giving us student ID’s with no expiration date. Always take your ID with you, (no matter how bad your picture looks) you’d be surprised how many other stores offer a student discount. Lastly, dress for the occasion, when going thrift shopping you should be dressed one of two ways: either in comfortable clothes or wearing something that goes with/matches what you are looking for, due to the fact that not all thrift stores have dressing rooms.

Tip #3

Location, location, location. The best thrift shops are always located downtown. That’s usually where you’ll be able to find all the brand names and vintage designer stuff. That’s another reason why I suggested bringing a friend, can you say mini road-trip!

Tip #4

People usually make one of two common thrifting mistakes: either they are a little too ambitious and overestimate their DIY and sewing skills, or they buy clothes they don’t really like just for the sake of buying something and because it’s cheap. Don’t be afraid to walk out the store empty-handed because “if you don’t absolutely love it in the store [then] you won’t wear it” (Sandra Bullock as Leanne Tewey in The Blind Side). Next thing you know, you’ll have a closet full of clothes you can’t even remember buying and wonder why in hell you bought them in the first place. Also, don’t buy things that need to be tailored or need a ton of alterations done to them, especially if you are barely able to cut a t-shirt into a crop top.   

Tip #5

Lastly, and by far the most important, wash everything you just bought as soon as you get home. I could tell you horror stories about what people have told me happen to the clothes in thrift stores, so store your bags in the trunk of your car till you get home, then wash them immediately. 

Bonus: Tip #6

Little tip, the first Saturday of the month Goodwill has a 50% sale, AND it lasts all day.  Goodwill also gives you 20% off your purchase if you bring in clothes to donate.

Just call her the next black Anna Wintour. Don Davis is in her third year at the University of North Texas. She is currently pursuing two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising, and a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. She is also pursuing two minors, one in Marketing and the other in Photography, with the hopes of one day becoming a print and digital reporter, more specifically, a fashion writer, and then getting promoted to fashion editor. However, her ultimate goal is editor-in-chief.