woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

Things I’ll Miss Most About UNT (and College in General) When I Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The spring semester is moving fast, and that only means one thing: graduation. I’ve waited to graduate college for, well, four years but the quicker the day approaches, the more bittersweet it becomes. Although a new chapter of life awaits me and my fellow seniors, it’s scary and sad to think of what all we’re leaving behind. For me, attending UNT has been the best experience of my life, and there are some things that I know I’ll miss forevermore once I graduate. Here’s just a few…maybe you can relate. 

Football Season. Okay, let’s be honest. Up until this last year, football at UNT was more or less an episode of Punk’d. We didn’t have a good track record, but man, did we have spirit. Once the Eagles started picking up pace and actually proving themselves as a team to be reckoned with, it only got bigger. I will never forget the long nights at football games where my friends and I stayed till the very last minute- even if we were down by three touchdowns. The point of it all was, of course, to always show our opponents that UNT was strong, united, and had the best support system in the world. I’ll miss the “you can’t do that” chants, our fight song, and oh so much more. Football season is truly the heart of UNT.

The all-nighters at Willis where you actually don’t get much studying done at all because you’re talking with your friends rather than being productive. Particularly during finals week. We’ve all been there: we promise ourselves and each other that we’ll actually study, we pack up the snacks and coffee, and head to the library…only to start gossiping and running into old friends. What’s worse, we pretend that staying at Willis for hours and hours into the night will force us to get things done when really, it just makes us delusional and even less productive than before. Then test day would come, and we would cram in the morning and wonder why we weren’t more efficient the night before. 

Late night runs to Whataburger. All my Texas peeps should be nodding along to this one. Whataburger is a staple on any southern college campus, UNT being no different. Some of the craziest nights happened under the orange roof, as well as some of the most emotional. Whataburger was a symbol of not only laughter for me and my friends, but a place where we could all gather and feel at home. Yup, I just said Whataburger is a home away from home. And I know that even if I stay in Texas my whole life, the experience will never be the same as it has been in college. By the way…apparently it’s frowned upon to steal the little orange numbers. Oops. It’s okay, though, I only have eight. 

Eating everything, every day, all the time. No one can judge you for living off of fries, mac and cheese, and Dr. Pepper in college. No one. End of story. 

Taking naps on campus between classes. Some of my best sleep occurred under the pool tables in the Syndicate, no joke. I don’t know why sleeping in my breaks always seems to give me more rest than sleeping at night in my bed does. The best thing, though, is passing someone else who is napping on a green couch or the floor or even in class and finding solidarity in the fact you’re not alone. There is no place you can’t sleep in college, and that’s the biggest blessing to me of all time.

These are just a few things I’ll miss when I graduate in May. Tell me: what are you favorite things about UNT?

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.