This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As we cram with flashcards and espressos trying to ace as many finals as we can, I’m reminded of the long nights with friends and freedom that come with the promises of summer. This is the season to not just survive but to live. In order to have the summer you deserve, here are just a few things that are essential to have with me 24/7 in this glorious time of sitting poolside, or in my case, working around the clock.  

Moisturizer with spf

Using moisturizer before I walk out the door everyday is not a new concept, but in the summertime is a different story. I don’t know about you, but this season makes my skin more susceptible to sunburns, though it’s never a bad idea to protect your skin. Combining spf with a daily moisturizer is the best idea because it kills two birds with one stone, and not to mention is really convenient.

Film (Polaroid/Camera)

Making memories is the most important thing to do in the summer, mostly because it’s a time of having your empty schedule filled by friends and trips. I one hundred percent agree with living in the moment, but even I can admit there are some memories I wish I could revisit. Having any camera, whether it be a polaroid or disposable, anything that captures the essence of summer on film is worth having.

Small Sunglasses

You could not catch me without a pair of sunglasses no matter the season, but for some reason it’s more socially acceptable to be sporting fashionable sunglasses in the summer. Like Kim said, big sunglasses are out and it’s all about tiny obscurely shaped ones. This is also a simple way to dress up even the simplest outfits, just because summer laziness hits doesn’t mean you have to show it.

Body Lava

Okay, at first this sounds kind of crazy—but hear me out. Summer is made for glowing, reflecting the golden season is just a principal. For those days where you just wear a crop or tank top with shorts, adding body glitter is definitely the go to move. To the point where it gives off a natural glimmer, not exactly to the point where it looks like your going to some wild festival but a cute glow never hurt anyone.

A good book

Free time is one of the many advantages of summer, and no reading is not nerdy. There are so many books on my “to-read” list in my notes app and there’s no better time to break out the leisure reading than this. Plus for those times where there is nothing to do, or even just to relax, a good book is key.

Tote bag

I’m not a big fan of big purses, or purses in general honestly, and backpacks don’t exactly give off that summer vibe, but like it or not there are so many things I have to keep on me so I need something big but season appropriate and not too fancy. Specifically basket-looking bags are in, and knock-off designer purses are out. For a day at the beach or just time out grocery shopping tote bags can fulfil all your needs while keeping up with the trends.

Platform Sandals

I love a good platform, and especially with all the heat waves we’re going to endure, sandals are crucial. Thus combining the two makes for the perfect summer shoe. These are acceptable with pretty much any outfit, jeans, sundresses, patterned loose pants—you name it. They have a mature look to them and they’re more than just a simple flat pair of sandals.

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (:
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.