burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Styling on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As college students, many of us are tight on cash because books can cost more than the newest iPhone. There are ways to let out your inner fashionista without going broke, here is how.

1. Use being a student as an advantage! 

There are many websites that give students a discount! My personal favorite is http://www.modcloth.com, they have a lot of really cute vintage-looking clothes and great plus-size options that you actually want to wear! They give students a 15% discount and they always have some type of sale going on. https://www.myunidays.com/US/en-US also has a ton of student discounts from American Apparel, Toms, Forever 21, and more.

2. DIY instead of BUY

There are tons of popular trends that you can make yourself for way cheaper! I looove LaurDIY on YouTube, she has so many cute DIY tutorials that inspire you to be creative. If you don’t find something you like on her channel, there hundreds of other YouTube tutorials for every furniture or clothes DIY you can imagine. I’m sure you will be able to find a fun project that will save you a little cash!

3. THRIFT

Okay, it’s no secret that thrifting can save some cash, but you gotta know what to look for! Look for pieces that you know you’ll wear, no matter how low the price. If you spend $1 on a shirt but you never wear it, then you wasted a dollar! Look for clothes that you wear on a regular rotation, not keep in your closet in case of a costume party. If you can’t picture yourself wearing those sequin pants on a normal day, then you’re just wasting money.

Hello, my name is Leah Butler and I am a writer for Her Campus at UNT. I am an English major right now (probably going to change it again!) and I hope to write a kick ass book one day. I love to write, cook, and hang out with animals.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.