STRFKR “Being No One, Going Nowhere” Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Though seemingly similar to previous albums, STRFKR’s fourth album Being No One, Going Nowhere goes even further than ever before by balancing the scale of philosophical self-examination and dance pop. STRFKR is most well-known for their upbeat, vivacious songs that serve as a great track list to dance to at hip parties, and while Being No One, Going Nowhere is no exception to that, Joshua Hodges, founder of STRFKR, overlays the funky beats with lyrics addressing the crisis of identity and individuality, making it perhaps their best work yet.     

Hodge’s reportedly wandered the Joshua Tree desert in California to write this album, which, frankly, explains a lot. The album was meant to be infused with Eastern philosophy and thought, which can be heard in the series of enigmatic narratives told in nearly every song on the album. Each song uniquely captures the pondering of self, and many of the songs largely address the subject of finding one’s place in the universe. In it’s opening track, “Tape Machine,” Hodge’s, in his respective character, cries “Was this trouble your nature/Why can’t you shake it,” amongst synthetic zaps and ear-warming hooks, introducing the disastrously beautiful spiral of existence that is prominent throughout the album. Being No One, Going Nowhere seems to be more concerned about the difficulties of life, the anxieties that surround our own identity, and who we are in this world. These themes have not been previously explored by STRFKR, making their new album a standout.

What makes Being No One, Going Nowhere so striking is Hodges ability to successfully create a conceptual journey, tinged with cerebral thought and introspective meditation without compromising the futuristic, sticky beats and dizzying dance-ready songs that they are so well-known for. Being No One, Going Nowhere contains dark, glistening songs that seem to seep into the brain, even after you’ve stopped listening. If STRFKR is attempting to tap into more serious, profound topics, as opposed to the usual happy, sporadic albums from before, it’s working. Being No One, Going Nowhere is cohesive, the album makes sense, and by listening to it just once, any listener can pick up on the topics that STRFKR is trying to address. In the closing track, “You’re alright where you are/Being no one/Going nowhere,” echoes throughout the entire song, met with mellow blips and celestial loops, slowly dissipating into the cosmos, finally achieving what the album yearns for, the sweet bliss of nothingness.

Song Recommendations

2 “Satellite”

4 “Something Ain’t Right”

8 “Maps”

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.